help

7 Year Old Developing Breasts???? HELP!

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 2,144
mapstangelo Posted: Sun, Oct 24 2010 6:54 PM

Okay so I am freaking out!! I have noticed lately that my DD isn't as flat as she once used to be. I don't know if she is developing or maybe just fuller up there because she's a big kid (not heavy or overweight) but big build and on the bubble BMI wise according to her dr.

She doesn't notice it and maybe I am just overly critical or observant but it has really bugged me the past few days. Some days I notice it some days I don't. As I browse through our Disney vacation photos taken the week of Columbus Day I don't see it at all in the photos but last night when she was putting her PJ's on and tonight after her shower I did.

Can this be happening????

I am hoping it's just her body type excess whatever.

Anyone else in the same position?

Thanks!

Me - 33
DH - 39
DD - Katie 6/9/03
DS - Ryan 7/13/06

Not Ranked
Posts 1,854
trying4baby replied on Sun, Oct 24 2010 7:54 PM

I'd definitely ask her ped about it.  My ped thought I was at risk for starting my period early and wanted me on a certain exercise regimen to keep it at bay.

Not Ranked
Posts 481
janmom replied on Sun, Oct 24 2010 11:05 PM

On a totally granola note: there are some who feel that the rBGH in milk leads to premature puberty in humans. You may want to consider consuming milk and cheese and other dairy products that are labelled either 'organic' or' rBGH-free'. Also, a higher BMI is definitely associated with earlier onset of puberty according to the AAP, so increasing exercise and watching the family's diet may help. Hope this helps! Sorry you have to worry about this!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 10,791
Sept02bride replied on Thu, Nov 4 2010 11:29 AM

I'm sorry Michelle. I know you have worried about her BMI for awhile.

I would call the pediatrician and also make sure her dairy products are organic, etc.

If she's active and eating mostly well, I'm not sure what else can be done.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 1,688
Aleigh6 replied on Thu, Nov 4 2010 1:27 PM

I did see something on Dr Oz the other day that was about very early puberty that can start around 7 to 9. I think it was a 3 part series. He recommended going to the ped right away and potentially cutting out/changing certain foods (like PP said). Here's one of the links so you can see what they called signs to see if your DD has any of them. Hopefully it's just her build and not actually puberty.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dr-oz-investigates-early-puberty-epidemic-pt-1

Amber Leigh 33, Brennan 34

Baby Girl DD1 - Adalyne Leigh - 10/2008

Missed M/C at 6 weeks - 12/2009

Baby Girl DD2 - Ellasyn Cooper- 04/2011

Missed M/C at 6 weeks - 09/2012

Baby Girl DD3 - Avery Brynn - 10/2013

http://tcoyf.com/members/aleigh6/pccharts/default.aspx  Using FAM since 2007 to TTC and TTA

Not Ranked
Posts 364
April Joy replied on Fri, Nov 5 2010 6:43 PM

I have an 8 year old daughter and she isn't really developing breasts, but has started with under arm hair.  This happen at 7.  I took her to the pedi and they ran a complete hormonal blood work to see if she was developing early (then she would have to take hormones to slow it down).  When puberty starts, growing slows down.  All of her blood work came back normal (thank you Jesus).  I went out and bought the American Girl book about how her body will change.  We read it together and with her dad so that she would know it was something completely natural and nothing to be ashamed of.  She is very active and not overweight at all. 

My pedi said that breast buds are really the first sign that the process has started.  Is your daughter's breast area look more fleshy or is the nipple filling out? The book showed examples of how the breast would change during puberty.

Not Ranked
Posts 449
killeen_princess replied on Fri, Nov 5 2010 11:48 PM

For some people it is just normal. Personally when I turned 9 I went from flat to "B"'s in time we were let out for winter break but my ped said it was normal. I also got my first pimple and underarm hair in 5th grade the following year and again Ped said it was normal. I also started AF at 11 and Ped said it was normal. I was never really a dairy product kid and was also just built bigger not fat or overweight by any means just always the tallest kid in class and built like my dad, It seems like it is all too young but my doctor said that for some girls it is just normal, he said that it is better for it to of happened when it did compared to my mom who didn't get any of it until she was 16. I hope this helps ease your mind a bit.

Me:26 DH:28

7/3/2011:Cycle started & 150mg Clomid 5-9

7/18/2011:Follie check & 10,000 unit trigger shot

7/23/2011: 200mg of Prometrium

7/26/2011: Progesterone level of 34.1

Not Ranked
Posts 2,144
mapstangelo replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 7:49 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies, I am not sure now if it's just weight related or if she really is developing breasts I am thinking it may be weight but not sure. It's hard for me to examine her without it looking like I'm trying to find something wrong etc. I'll try to look a little closer and see what is going on and then call our pedi.

Thanks again for your support!!

Me - 33
DH - 39
DD - Katie 6/9/03
DS - Ryan 7/13/06

Not Ranked
Posts 364
jacquie2008 replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 10:53 AM

I was one of those kids who started puberty early. I started getting breast tissue around that age and got a period at age 10 so it could be possible. It also could just be the start and could take many more years for everything to catch up.  

Me 29DH 36
BFP 15dpo !
Baby Girl Natalie born 7/22/10
Angel @ 9wks  10/22/14
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 864
famofour replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 12:57 PM

Hi,

A suggestion: My 10 year old niece started having "bumps" around 7. My mom and I went and bought her cotton camis to wear under her clothing. Now that she is 10, she can wear an XS in the Old Navy camis that have the built in bra and that works perfectly!

I know it's hard to deal with... not the same thing, but I had to buy MEN's underwear for my ten year old DS who is 5' tall and just shy of 100 pounds... it made me very uncomfortable and emotional Sad

Raina 

"Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune- without the words, and never stops at all...." -Emily Dickinson

MY CHART: http://www.tcoyf.com/members/famofour/charts/6.aspx

Aidan Winter was born naturally on Jan. 4, 2000
Finn Lennon was born naturally on Oct. 5, 2011

Not Ranked
Posts 412
visitor replied on Tue, May 10 2011 5:17 AM

Believe it. It is happening. My daughter bloomed early too. :( My Mom had menarche at 17, I was 13, my daughter was barely 11. She started developing breasts/hair at 7/8. I wish someone had told me it was possible to delay this... but they only told me to "have the talk with her". Gee thanks stupid Drs. I am learning now that she will likely not reach her full height potential, have an increased risk of cancer, and potentially have a shorter lifespan. Makes me MAD that the medical professionals are not helping us more.

Not Ranked
Posts 110
maryelizabeth replied on Tue, May 10 2011 12:03 PM

You may already be familiar with environmental estrogens in plastics and personal care products.  I have eliminated those as much as I can.  My MD said it is much more prevalent than she even imagined-she found out it was even in the coating on the prenatal vitamins she was prescribing.  She said these estrogens are contributing to early puberty in girls.

Also soy has estrogens, so I would avoid soy in her diet.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Not Ranked
Posts 652
bobaby replied on Wed, May 11 2011 12:55 PM

My friend freaked out about her 7 year old - thought she was developing breast buds so she took her to the Pedi.  Turned out it was fatty tissue, and not actual breast buds and there was nothing to worry about.  She still has little fatty bumps but no true breast tissue 2 years later, so guess she was right.  The Pedi said it happens all the time.

Precocious puberty is happening more and more now all the time, possibly for all the reasons mentioned above, but it might not be anything. Better to get it checked before you stress!

Baby Boy 2011. 

DD expected 1/15

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 7,437
jbizzy replied on Tue, May 24 2011 12:14 AM

maryelizabeth:

You may already be familiar with environmental estrogens in plastics and personal care products.  I have eliminated those as much as I can.  My MD said it is much more prevalent than she even imagined-she found out it was even in the coating on the prenatal vitamins she was prescribing.  She said these estrogens are contributing to early puberty in girls.

Also soy has estrogens, so I would avoid soy in her diet.

This!! 

I actually dropped my pede because of a dispute I got into with the nurse who strongly suggested soy formula was best for my dd and told me it wasn't a *hormone*... no, it's not, but it mimicks one!  There's a lot of research with regards to women using it to combat menopause symptoms and to help boost ovulation who are ttc.  And there's soy in so much stuff out there that you wouldn't even think!

Flowers

One and Done Club.....

TTC Charts    

TTC#1 March 2006

Myomectomy to remove multiple fibroids and light endo October 2009

First & only BFP January 9th, 2010

*wild yam root 500 mg cd 1-9, maca root 900 mg until 11 dpo, clomid 50 mg cd 5-9, NPC from 3 dpo, procheive suppositories 1st trimester

16 dpo beta 397, 18 dpo beta 863 Yes

Baby Girl 9/26/2010

Not Ranked
Posts 430
chandni2 replied on Thu, May 26 2011 3:39 PM

You may be interested in reading this article

http://lifestyle.ca.msn.com/family-parenting/health-safety/early-puberty

It doesn't really give any straight forward answers but it says that early puberty is becoming more and more common among girls (but not among boys).  It gives some theories as to why, when it is a concern and how to deal with it if it happens to your child.

Not Ranked
Posts 6,048
Trixyinaz replied on Mon, Aug 8 2011 12:37 PM

I am in the same position as you.

My daughter is 7.5 yo, and I have often thought the same thing about her.  I noticed it when she was 6, going on 7...I'm guessing it is just fatty tissue for us, but we have her annual at the end of August and will be bringing this up b/c I too worry about it.  She's on the heavier side (80-84 pounds, but is also just over 4'6" tall) - in clothes, she doens't look overweight at all.  Take off her shirt, and she's got a little belly and small boobies. Fatty tissue, I'm not sure. She is aware of them too.  She wanted a training bra so we got her just some simple cotton ones at Target.  She thinks it is totally cool!

Nothing makes sense with us.  You'd think my DD would be rail thin.  She eats pretty good and is also very very active.  She's on a year round swim team and swims 3-4 nights a week and has taken karate for almost 2 years now, which is 2 nights a week.  Over the summer, she's even more active b/c 5 days a week her camp goes swimming for 2 hours  each day and plays outside most of the mornings.  If they are breast buds, we'll deal with that.  If it is fatty tissue, I just don't know how much more active she can be to help loose the weight. 

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Guthu replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 7:57 AM

Don't worry so much about it. :)

I started growing boobs, extra hair and started the period when 7/8 years old.

It's not so bad

Think mine started early because of a combination of crap food and genetics (I was a good weight, not to high nor to low)

I was also VERY active, always outside

If her body is ready, it will do its thing, no stopping it

Not Ranked
Posts 7,091
BabyVH replied on Thu, May 10 2012 2:36 PM

My heart goes out to you.  This just started with my 8.5 year old last week.  She told me that for 'two months' (WHAT??? Why didn't you tell me????) her left 'boobie' hurt and had a bump under it.  It never entered my mind that she MIGHT be getting her little 'buds'.  No way.  I took her to the pediatrician and she checked her out...she said that it is definitely VERY EARLY puberty beginning!!! WTH? :( My gilrs both have had organic milk and beef for years...and we don't give them tons of hormone-saturated junk...still, here we are, at the early stages of puberty.  :(

Talk to your pediatrician.

GL.  Here we go.  Is there a support group here for moms of girls? Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 486
chantpleure replied on Fri, May 11 2012 12:11 PM

I started getting body hair at 8 and developing breast buds at 9/10 and I haven't suffered any ill effects.  I am above average height, too.

Protein C Deficiency (inherited blood clotting disorder) 
Diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis May '03

http://tcoyf.com/members/chantpleure/charts/default.aspx

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 984
eagerforbaby1 replied on Fri, May 11 2012 2:55 PM

Someone upthread said you were concerned about her BMI. If she's overweight, she could be getting too much estrogen from body fat. Apparently fat in women can "seep" estrogen. There are studies that show that overweight women have lighter menopause symptoms because they're getting estrogen from their fat stores. I wouldn't be surprised if it had an impact on puberty, too.

If your Ped isn't helpful, consider seeing a nutritionist or a naturopath who can look into her diet to see if there any potential reasons for early development there.

Aryn - 38

Baby Girl 7/18/12

IUI  10/19/10, BFP 10/31/10, Angel 7 weeks, D&C 12/13/2010, Repeat D&C 1/21/2011, methotrexate shot #1 3/2/2011, methotrexate shot #2 3/18/2011, hemorrhage 4/6/2011, mri 4/29/2011, methotrexate shot #3 5/6/2011, methotrexate shot #4 5/27/2011, HCG finally below 2 6/21/2011

BFP #2 (natural conception) - 11/6/11, EDD 7/12/12

My charts

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS