Search

help

Bridesmaid dress at 4 months pg -- what size?

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 508
ChristineCA Posted: Tue, May 7 2013 1:37 PM

I am in a wedding in summer and if all goes well with this pregnancy, I'll be four months. I've been putting off buying the dress because of TTC, but I am getting close to when I have to buy it. It is an off-the-rack dress from J. Crew. Here is the dress: http://www.jcrew.com/wedding/Wedding_Bridesmaid/silkchiffon/PRDOVR~66737/66737.jsp  Will I show at 4 months? How do I choose which size -- my normal size, up one size, up 2 sizes?

Thanks ladies! 

Not Ranked
Posts 433
CWags22 replied on Tue, May 7 2013 1:45 PM

I started showing quickly, so if it were me, I would buy 2 sizes up.  It's always easier to have someone take it in than let it out.  The good news is that the cut looks like it could work nicely as long as you wear the waist band a little high (above your bump).  A lot of the fit looks like it will depend on how large your breasts are at four months, so I would give myself the extra room of two sizes up just in case.  Good luck!

Me-31 DH-31

TTC #1 since 10/11; unexplained infertility.  IVF revealed egg quality issues with funky duplication at fertilization.

DS Baby Boy born 5/22/13 at 35 weeks due to pre-eclampsia.  Happy healthy boy with no NICU time!

These are the days of miracle and wonder...

Everything will be okay in the end.  If it's not okay, it's not the end.

TTC #2 July 2014  BFP 7/30 on first try! Fingers Crossed Pray for healthy take home Baby #2!!!

My chart

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 1,510
kbella replied on Tue, May 7 2013 1:58 PM

I like to consider myself somewhat of any expert on this since I'll be in two weddings this summer (at 28.5 weeks and 34.5 weeks) and have looked into all kinds of things regarding bridesmaid dresses!  First of all, at 16 weeks with your first pregnancy, I doubt you'll be showing much and that dress is gathered in the front, so it should allow for any bloat or mini bump.  My chest hasn't changed, but I would order the Jcrew dress based on your chest size and maybe order one size up if you think you might grow (I would have definitely fit in my normal size at 16 weeks).  Secondly, Jcrew is awesome and if you call their wedding line and talk to them they'll put a note on your order allowing you to exchange or return past the normal date.  The wedding I'm in at 28 weeks is a Jcrew dress.  I went with an empire waist silk chiffon style and bought an extra yard of fabric (it was expensive, you won't need to do this) and will add straps and have enough to add an extra panel if my belly somehow gets huge(r) in the next 5 weeks.  I ordered a size up from what my chest was measuring.  The other option that Jcrew will let you do if you call the wedding line is to order multiple sizes and return the ones you don't wear, so you could order one in your regular size and one up from that and just hang on to them until a week before the wedding and return the one you don't wear.  

I just went to Nordstrom to try dresses on for the other wedding I'm in and they all fit me perfectly in one size up from normal at 22 weeks and I have definitely popped!  They were all empire waist.  Unfortunately, there's no way my belly is going to fit in those dresses at 34 weeks at least not without adding a panel.  Crossing my fingers that the original plan for that wedding (a seamstress is supposed to make all the dresses including mine) will work out and I won't have to try and squeeze my body  into a normal, non-maternity, dress!

ETA: Jcrew dresses are NOT made for large chested girls.  I don't know what your chest size is obviously. ;)  I am normally a 34 DDD and even though I wear size 10 pants in pre-pregnancy, I ended up ordering a size 16 for this dress (I measured as needing a size 14).  So, as I said, order according to your chest measurements and not your normal dress size (or, I guess if you are more apple shaped, you might want to order for your waist size...basically whatever is bigger).  If you call their wedding line, they can also give you the exact measurements for the specific dress you are ordering and help with sizing.  HTH! Flowers 

wifey 31 Heart hubby 34. Heart

Baby D Baby Boy FAM Baby August 2013

FAM Baby Numero Dos Baby Girl EDD March 30, 2015  IT'S A GIRL!!

My Chart

BabyFruit Ticker

Not Ranked
Posts 471
jdewell replied on Tue, May 7 2013 3:08 PM

Have you tried it on?  It looks like it would have a lot of room, but it depends on where the waist falls on you too.

I agree with PP about ordering based on your boobs, but otherwise if it's for at 16 weeks, I wouldn't order more than a size bigger.  Even with showing sooner with this pregnancy, I would have actually ordered my normal size still at 16 weeks.

My Chart  My Blog

DH 29 Kiss Me 27

DD Emily Baby Girl 8/14/2010               DS Griffin Angel Stillborn @ 40w4d 8/8/2012

DS Caleb Baby Boy 9/26/2013 8lbs 10oz at 38+1

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 2,533
LMoo replied on Tue, May 7 2013 3:21 PM

I agree with other posters. At 16 weeks you will barely be showing and that dress looks like it would be pretty forgiving. I would order your normal size UNLESS you typically wear your clothes on the tight side then I would go a size up. Your boobs may grow a but too so think about that. Mine grew 2 cup sizes by 7 weeks with my first. I am 38 weeks pregnant and I can still fit in some of my pre-preggo dresses. The belly raises them up to far in the front but I can still fit in them everywhere else.

Lauren (Me): 27 Joel (DH): 29 Married 9/13/09 Kiss

Baby BoyGideon Mark July 1, 2011 Nursed this little monkey for 20 months!

Baby BoyEverett Gilbert May 23, 2013

Baby Girl EED April 1, 2015

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 785
OneToughMother replied on Tue, May 7 2013 3:36 PM

I agree, too - I wore a bridesmaid dress at about 12 -14 wks and it had a similar waistline (the bodice was less forgiving) - made by a seamstress, I had her make it one size bigger since it wasn't my first baby and I was dealing with a lot of water weight and bloating - I wish I had had her make the bodice a little bigger, but it was okay.  She had to move the waistline up a little so that I would be comfortable, but it worked out okay.  good luck!

Nicole Heart Ty  ~ 6/5/99 (and dated 4 years before that!)

Baby Boy  Luke 7/24/01 ~ 8lb 14 oz    Baby Boy Jack 1/31/06 ~ 9 lb 1 oz, born at home!       Angel 1/31/10 ~ 5w2d     Always loved

Baby Boy Ben 12/30/10 ~ 8 lb 14oz - born at home-my unexpected waterbirth!  

HeartBaby BoyHeart EDD 11/11/2013 Thank You, Jesus!

See My Chart

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 777
JennyG11 replied on Tue, May 7 2013 3:53 PM

I know this is totally different, but I had the "reverse" dilemma... I had to order my bridesmaid dress in January (actually, it's pretty similar to yours!) but I had planned on losing weight... which I did! I tried on my dress last week and it is 6 sizes too big. Seriously. The lady I went to pinned it up, and (other than it being pinned) you'd never know it was too big. Moral of the story? Go a size larger, because it's easier to "bring it in" than "let it out." When I was four months, things were a little tight.

Jenny (31),  DH (31), Married Oct/10.
Baby Boy Hunter William ~ July 31/11.
Baby Boy Blake Mathew ~ March 11/14.
TTA for now... definitely know that we'll be having another eventually!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 897
ILoveBluebonnets replied on Tue, May 7 2013 4:20 PM

Yes, you can alter things down to a smaller size WAY easier and by greater amounts that you can let them out if you end up needing a bigger size! So if you're debating between 2 sizes, choose the larger one!

Yes, I changed my username

Megan-30, DH-31

thin PCOS

TTC #1 since May 2012, with clomid and metformin since Oct 2012, BFP April 19, 2013

Baby Girl Avonlea, born Dec 27, 2013 at 39w6d

Feb 2014-NTNP while BFing... PPAF arrived July 2014

Nov 2014-temping again = officially TTC #2 (if I'm Oing!)

See my bio for my complete history

http://tcoyf.com/members/ILoveBluebonnets/charts/default.aspx               http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3d8785

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 1,688
Aleigh6 replied on Tue, May 7 2013 4:38 PM

1st baby, I didn't show until 24 weeks so the same size pp would have been fine. 3rd baby, I'd say 1 size up for me at 16 weeks.

Amber Leigh 33, Brennan 34

Baby Girl DD1 - Adalyne Leigh - 10/2008

Missed M/C at 6 weeks - 12/2009

Baby Girl DD2 - Ellasyn Cooper- 04/2011

Missed M/C at 6 weeks - 09/2012

Baby Girl DD3 - Avery Brynn - 10/2013

http://tcoyf.com/members/aleigh6/pccharts/default.aspx  Using FAM since 2007 to TTC and TTA

Not Ranked
Posts 271
Meemelia replied on Tue, May 7 2013 5:31 PM

I was showing by 16 weeks, but I was less than my pre pregnancy weight, so it was all bump and boobs.

If it were me, I'd get one or two sizes big, and you will probably have to get it altered. On the other hand, you could be fitting your normal size still! It's hard to predict.

Mirena out : 9/11/12

TTC:  from Jan 2013 

BFP: 15/1/13 Due Date: 30/9/13

Charts: http://www.attainfertilityplanner.com/members/meemelia 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 2,572
ABizzity replied on Tue, May 7 2013 5:53 PM

LMoo:

I agree with other posters. At 16 weeks you will barely be showing and that dress looks like it would be pretty forgiving. I would order your normal size UNLESS you typically wear your clothes on the tight side then I would go a size up. Your boobs may grow a but too so think about that. Mine grew 2 cup sizes by 7 weeks with my first. I am 38 weeks pregnant and I can still fit in some of my pre-preggo dresses. The belly raises them up to far in the front but I can still fit in them everywhere else.

ITA with this.  If this is your first, you likely wont be showing much by then.  

Both of our babies were conceived using FAM.  DS #1 was conceived on the very first cycle.  DS #2 took a while longer.... TTC starting May 2012, one loss at 6w3d in Sept 2012, finally a sticky baby!!! BFP 5/4/13, after exactly 1yr TTC!   

Team Baby  with both!  

Our family is complete.  Heart

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,067
KattMC replied on Tue, May 7 2013 8:36 PM

I had to order a maid of honor dress in December for July.  I had been trying for a few months at that point, and figured I could be anywhere from not pregnant to 7 months pregnant... yup I'll be 7 months.  I was between a 2 and a 4, and they recommended I order a 10 even though it was comically large in the chest. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago (20 weeks), just tried on the size 10, and it is really tight in the belly!  They luckily let me rush order a size 14 to accommodate my belly.  I am still measuring a 4 in the chest, so alterations should be rather interesting!  Moral of the story is... order the bigger size, it can always be taken in,but not let out.  If I was in a wedding last month, I would have needed 2 sizes bigger than my normal size.

Me 29 ~ DH 37

Baby Girl Alexa Sloane ~ 10/9/11 ~ Born at 39+3 ~ TTC 1 year, 6 IUIs ~

Baby Girl Bria Quinn ~ 9/12/13 ~ Born at 39+2 ~ TTC 4 months, clomid ~

~ Thin PCOS ~ TTA indefinitely ~

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/KattMC/charts/13.aspx

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 6,512
piper replied on Wed, May 8 2013 6:50 AM

The waist and on the dress looks like its very fitting - no room for anything!  I would say go one size up.  I popped at 17 weeks with my 1st and before then the bloat alone would have made that waist band uncomfortable.

Someone had mentioned  JCrew has a "wedding line" to talk to Cust Service - I would call and ask them what they suggest - they probably know thier products the best and can suggest a size based on your current measurements.

me: 36 Kiss  DH: 46

Baby Boy Sept 2008 - IVF/ICSI

Baby Girl March 2011 - au natural

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 23,949
Calladona replied on Wed, May 8 2013 11:21 AM

I dunno, that dress looks awfully tight under the boobs and it goes down a bit of a ways...  I think I would opt for 2 sizes and assume you will need to have it altered a week or two prior to the wedding.  Worst case, you're taking it in a bit, but that should be really easy to do.

Susan - 33 married to Chris - 34

Baby GirlCatherine Anne born via c-section June 30, 2008

Baby GirlRebecca Marie born naturally April 18, 2010

Baby BoyJohn McNary born naturally January 9, 2012

Baby GirlJulia Grace born naturally August 26, 2013

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,067
KattMC replied on Wed, May 8 2013 12:22 PM

I just opened the link for the dress, and I would definitely go up 2 sizes.  I think you have to keep in mind that you really won't know how you will be showing. It could be nothing or quite a bit.  When you say 4 months, do you mean 18 weeks?  If this is in any way helpful, I have 2 bump pics from 16 weeks from my 1st pregnancy. My chest didn't grow at that point yet, but you can see I had a pretty decent bump.  It may be helpful to look at the 2nd trimester gallery post on this forum to see the wide variety of bellies!

Me 29 ~ DH 37

Baby Girl Alexa Sloane ~ 10/9/11 ~ Born at 39+3 ~ TTC 1 year, 6 IUIs ~

Baby Girl Bria Quinn ~ 9/12/13 ~ Born at 39+2 ~ TTC 4 months, clomid ~

~ Thin PCOS ~ TTA indefinitely ~

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/KattMC/charts/13.aspx

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,076
AmandaR replied on Wed, May 8 2013 9:34 PM

ABizzity:

LMoo:

ITA with this.  If this is your first, you likely wont be showing much by then.  

I'm sorry, I don't agree at all. The ladies in my due date group can vouch for the fact that even though I'm only 15 weeks in a couple days, my belly is pretty big already. And yes, this is my first. Already my pre-pregnancy tanks won't stay down, and I don't fit in my normal pants anymore. I've been wearing maternity stuff for a few weeks. 

OP, I think the size of your bump at any given point depends way less on whether this is your first and how tall or small you already were and more to do with torso size. If you have a small/short torso, you'll probably show early. I have a tiny torso and look way farther along than I am. If you have a long torso, regardless of height, you probably won't show early. However, I'd do what others are saying and order up a couple sizes, allowing for growth in the boobies, and have it taken in closer to the day of the wedding. 

For comparison, this is me, taken yesterday at 14w4days. Sorry it's sideways. They always come up like that for me. And yes, my belly is hard. It's not bloat, it just likes to hang lol

Me, 26; Hubby, 25
Baby Boy Jackson William born Nov. 2, 2013

Personal trainer specializing in beginners and prenatal/postpartum fitness. Join me at Off The Couch Fitness

I have endometriosis.
3 Furbabies (cats) - Sally, Lucy, Lila
My Charts

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 785
VeggieZ replied on Sun, May 12 2013 12:04 PM

I had planned on wearing my MIL's wedding dress for my wedding (and it fit perfectly!) but I found out I was nearly 3 months along with #1 just before our wedding. I was very bloated in early pregnancy, so the dress was quite tight... I actually ripped the dress trying to zip it up! I would probably get 1-2 sizes up and hope for the best! It's true that it would be easier to take it in then have it be too small to begin with. Every woman's body reacts differently to pregnancy, some don't show until much later and some pop out right away!

Not Ranked
Posts 508
ChristineCA replied on Mon, May 13 2013 4:32 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. And thanks for the bump pictures! That was helpful. I do have a short torso.

KattMC:

When you say 4 months, do you mean 18 weeks?

Yes, actually I will be 18 weeks on the date of the wedding. I also appreciate everyone's suggestions that it's easier to take in that let out. Thanks again! I'll let you know how it goes...

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS