help

Cervical Length and Curved Cervix

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 214
mbyounger Posted: 01-29-2013 9:14 AM

So, yesterday I had a bit of a scare. Was discharging some clear liquid (more than I usually discharge) so I was ordered by my doctor's office to go to OB Triage to get checked out to make sure my water hadn't broken. Oy! Stressful! Anyways, after many tests and an ultrasound it was determined that everything was just fine. The only thing that caught me off guard was as they were doing my abdominal ultrasound to check my fluid levels (which are great) and the tech wanted to do a transvaginal because she thought my cervix looked on the shorter side (around 2cm). Not expecting to hear that or really know what it meant, I was kind of freaking out.

They did the transvaginal and it turned out that my cervix is actually just very curved and that was hard for her to see abdominally. I knew this since going through IF and having IUIs done with a curved cervix isn't the most confortable. After doing a little reserach it seems that 3cm is normal. The doctor said everything was fine, but I guess I am just freaked out that 3cm is on the low side of what is considered normal and the last thing I want to do is go into pre-term labor. Also, the whole curved cervix thing freaks me out too as far as giving birth.

Anyone go through something similar and they ended up going full term and being just fine? Just need some reassurance because Dr. Google isn't helping. Thanks, ladies!!!

Me: 27 DH: 27-- Married 4/17/2010  

Cycle #1, 2, 3: March, April, May 2012-Clomid + Trigger + Timed Intercourse = BFN Sad

Cycle #4: June 2012-Clomid + Trigger + IUI = BFN Sad

Cycle #5: July 2012-Clomid + 4 day ministim (Bravelle) + Trigger + IUI = BFN Sad

Cycle #6: August 2012-Clomid + 3 day ministim (Bravelle) + Trigger + IUI = BFP!!! Big Smile

Baby Baby Boy due May 6, 2013

Isaiah 55:8- Faith in God Means Faith in His PERFECT Timing

Make a pregnancy ticker

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 9,981
ThreePrinces replied on 01-29-2013 7:28 PM

Hi there!

I had a very similar situation.

I too have a funky cervix, mine is actually kinked in a couple of places.  IUIs were interesting.  My RE had a diagram in my chart on how to bend the IUI tube to perform them.  Laugh

I never had a t/v ultrasound with my sons to determine cervical length during my pregnancies with them.  I guess my old OB just didn't do them.  My OB here (we moved) checks the cervical length as standard procedure at the 20 week ultrasound.  They discovered, with DD, that mine was 3 cm.  I totally panicked when I went home and checked Dr. Google.  I saw just what you have seen, that 3cm is the tail end of what is considered normal.  My OB was not overly concerned because I did not have funneling or dilation, but still had me come back in a couple of weeks to check.  He said that it was either shortening or it was just my anatomy.

When I went back, they determined that it was just my anatomy.  They checked a couple of more times as my pregnancy progressed, and it remained closed, no funneling, and at 3cm throughout the rest of the pregnancy.  I went into labor at 39 weeks on the nose, a few days before my scheduled c-section date.

So, this is obviously how I am built, and my cervix was most likely "short" throughout all 4 of my pregnancies and not discovered until my last pregnancy.  I never went into preterm labor with any of them.

I don't know about the giving birth aspect with the curved cervix, as I had all c-sections with all 4 of my babies.  But I cannot imagine it would have any sort of negative impact.  The whole thing dilates for the baby to move through the birth canal.

Good luck and I hope my story has helped ease your mind.

3 amazing sons

Natalie Grace, after 40 months TTC!  Born February 12, 2012 at 2:18 A.M.  6 lb, 13 oz of pure joy!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 3,089
aliwat replied on 01-30-2013 1:05 PM

I think 3cm is actually good for over 26 weeks. Your cervix will slowly shorten for the rest of your pregnancy.

With my son, mine was 2.4cm at 22 weeks (eek!) and after a lot of bedrest, stabilized around 2.8cm at 28 weeks. I had him at 38 weeks (and he was almost 9 lbs.)

This time, my cervix has never dipped below 3cm (but has been right there.) My doctor (and I) both think this is fabulous! If I deliver before I am full term, I am doubtful it will be because of an incompetent or short cervix.

FYI, my doc told me most cases of incompetent cervix happen between 18-24 weeks.

Obviously, it's good to be vigilant if you feel you are having any signs of pre-term labor (the discharge you mentioned, pain, pressure) but I think it sounds like you are doing great.

Not Ranked
Posts 214
mbyounger replied on 01-31-2013 9:19 AM

Really appreciate the reassurance from women who have been there. I will probably have my doc take a look at my next appt in 3 weeks just to ease my mind one more time. Smile

Me: 27 DH: 27-- Married 4/17/2010  

Cycle #1, 2, 3: March, April, May 2012-Clomid + Trigger + Timed Intercourse = BFN Sad

Cycle #4: June 2012-Clomid + Trigger + IUI = BFN Sad

Cycle #5: July 2012-Clomid + 4 day ministim (Bravelle) + Trigger + IUI = BFN Sad

Cycle #6: August 2012-Clomid + 3 day ministim (Bravelle) + Trigger + IUI = BFP!!! Big Smile

Baby Baby Boy due May 6, 2013

Isaiah 55:8- Faith in God Means Faith in His PERFECT Timing

Make a pregnancy ticker

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS