Manuka Honey & Cinnamon

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 209
Pickies Posted: 11-27-2012 6:09 PM

Hi everyone

I was researching royal jelly and stumbled upon the benefits of honey - and in particular, manuka honey with a high 'UMF' rating (*see explanation below), taken with cinnamon! (Apologies if this topic has already been discussed on TCOYF but I couldn't find it, if it has...)

*UMF means 'Unique Manuka Factor' and is an antibacterial property which is present in active manuka honey. UMF is a floral property that comes from the nectar of manuka flowers and has been found to possess extraordinary healing powers. This antibacterial activity is not present in any other type of honey. Manuka Honey is tested and rated for its antibacterial potency. It's generally accepted that Manuka Honey with a UMF rating of 10 or higher is appropriate for medical use. The higher the UMF rating, the higher the antibacterial activity.

'Ordinary' honey is of course great to have health-wise but from what I've read so far, the high-UMF sort is the one to try for fertility-boosting purposes, so I've just gone out and bought a 500g jar of 12+UMF manuka honey - for NZ$19!! Eek...

Here's what I read somewhere, on a honey website...

Benefits of honey:
* restores and rejuvenates tired or ageing sex glands in males and females and contains natural hormonal substances that stimulate and nourish the reproductive system

* increases sexual stamina and endurance

* improves sexual dysfunction caused by prostate disorders

* alleviates symptoms of pms

* stimulates ovarian function and increases the biological value of eggs

http://babyworld.co.uk/2011/10/honey-may-aid-conception/

So I got into a google frenzy and was reading on ttc boards that many women taking honey and cinnamon feel this may have contributed to their bfp. Among other health benefits, honey and cinnamon is said to increase circulation, boosting blood supply to your reproductive areas. Cinnamon is also said to stabilise blood sugar levels.

The general consensus is to take 2 teaspoons of high-quality manuka honey with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder per day. You could eat it straight off the spoon, spread it on toast, have it with porridge or make it into a fruit smoothie or warm drink...whatever you like. (But they say to be careful not to heat the honey too much.)

I have come across a lot of websites with the following story:

In China, Japan and Far-East countries, women who do not conceive and need to strengthen the uterus, have been taking cinnamon powder for centuries. Women who cannot conceive take a pinch of cinnamon powder in half teaspoon of honey and apply it on the gums frequently throughout the day, so that it slowly mixes with the saliva and enters the body.

Anyway, I think it's worth giving honey and cinnamon on toast a go and am quite excited to be trying something so healthy and natural...if you're interested, google 'honey and cinnamon ttc' !!

Baby Dust

Pickies

**Moved from Trying to Conceive 11.28.12**

Me - 40, DP - 42 (together almost 4 years Kiss )

TTC #1 since March 2012

DP's SA: normal Me: left tube blocked

BFP ~ 7th October 2012 - blighted ovum discovered at 7 weeks
BFP ~ 3rd February 2013 - chemical 4w5d

IVF (one round only) Jan 2014: 20 eggs collected and 19 fertilised, so to avoid OHSS, no fresh transfer done - 'freeze all' instead. Three day 5 blasts frozen.

FET 24th Feb...BFP 6th March 2014

beta #1 at 10dp5dt = 71, beta #2 at 14dp5dt = 568 beta #3 at 18dp5dt = 2977

Scan at 7w5d: heartbeat detected but baby measuring about 9 days behind...missed m/c at 9w5d but retained tissue seen at 10w5d so will probably take tablets to complete it, if nothing happens within a week.

Spotted (brown) almost every day throughout pregnancy, no nausea just fatigue.

http://tcoyf.com/members/pickies/charts/default.aspx

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,865
dj rayne replied on 11-28-2012 2:04 PM

All honey is antimicrobial to some extent. There are 5 mechanisms that contribute to their antimicrobial activities. While some honey may have higher levels of certain components (proteins esp) than others I would not discount other honey. Each mechanism also has specific ways of use to promote this activity. Cinnamon (c. cassia) can stabilize blood sugar but you have to be aware that not all cinnamon is created equal and many "cinnamon" products actually come from other plant sources. Most grocery store brands are the cheap Cinnamomon cassia (Chinese cinnamon) or C. burmannii (Indonesian cinnamon). You are looking for C. cassia for the benefit. Neither are the "true" cinnamon C. verum (Ceylon cinnamon) that is common in other countries. If you have allergies take care when using honey.

David Jude

Click HERE for useful tips and information about this site including linking your chart and directions to allow others to view it Flowers  and HERE for Shrug abbreviations.

To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven.  Eccl 3:1

My WebCharts

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS