help

Harmony blood test

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 599
ct528 Posted: 09-19-2012 2:26 PM

Hi, has anyone had the Harmony blood test for chromosomal abnormalities?  I had it done this morning, now have 2-3 weeks to wait for the results.  I hadn't heard of it before today so please share your experience if you've done it!  Thanks!

Me: 36, DB: 35

DS: Oliver, 12/27/08.  Water labor, drug free, hospital birth assisted by midwife and doula.

DD: Ivy, April 15, 2013.  Drug free hospital birth.

Not Ranked
Posts 154
Chryseis replied on 09-21-2012 12:33 PM

I'm doing it, too, though I just got my blood drawn yesterday, so I'm in the same boat as you! My husband and I met with a genetic counselor last week to discuss our options (because I was freaking out about the 10% false-negative rate of the standard sequential screening and considering going straight to CVS or amnio even though I don't really have other risk factors), and she made a very good case for the Harmony test. My husband is a social scientist who works with statistics and medical decision making as his profession, so he took one look at the numbers and said that Harmony is far and away the best option. The genetic counselor explained to us that in a few years, this test will probably be standard, but right now it's very cutting edge, and doctors and insurance companies are very much stuck in the habit of offering the old screening options and haven't caught up to the new science yet. She also said that with this test, I can really skip the standard screening, since it's much more accurate. However, the test does have a 5% fail rate (i.e. no result at all; the counselor said this usually happens more with heavier women, for some reason), so I'm still doing the 1st trimester blood work, and I've got my NT ultrasound scheduled for after the Harmony results are due back. If I get a good result, then I'll probably cancel it. I'll be interested to hear about your experience with the test!

Me: 30, DH: 29

Married August 2008

Baby Boy April 2013

http://tcoyf.com/members/chryseis/charts/default.aspx

Not Ranked
Posts 599
ct528 replied on 09-21-2012 1:48 PM

Thanks, Chryseis!  Glad I'm not the only guinea pig in the group!  Thanks for sharing your husband's professional opinion, too!  I had an amnio with DS after getting some bad numbers from the quad screen, and that was such a stressful experience.  I just want a yes or no answer, so I was thinking I'd have to choose between CVS or amnio.  It is so much better to have a non-invasive option!  I read online that a lot of insurance companies are covering it now?  Not sure if mine is going to.  I would think they would because it has to be cheaper than an amnio.  Either way it would be worth it to me even if I have to pay out of pocket.

DS: Oliver, 12/27/08.  Water labor, drug free, hospital birth assisted by midwife and doula.

Not Ranked
Posts 188
Sharonovich replied on 09-21-2012 2:17 PM

I had the same free DNA test done, but it was a different brand, it's called MaterniT21.  I wanted a diagnostic test with a positive or negative result rather than a screening 1 in xxx.  I wasn't too keen on CVS or amnio, but would have done it if it wasn't for the free DNA, the quad screening would stress me out too much.  I got my MaterniT21 test results in about a week, it was negative for Trisomy 13, 18 & 21.  My insurance paid for some of it, I ended up paying $235 out of pocket - so worth it!!

I feel fortunate that these non-invasive diagnostic tests are now available.  Good luck to you Smile 

PS - I did also do the NT scan, it was great to see the LO moving around in there.

Me 41  DH 39 (35 cycles to conceive #1 naturally at age 39) 

Angel Chemical Pregnancy 10/21/2010

Baby Boy Ryan 2/20/13 - born at home

My chart

Not Ranked
Posts 599
ct528 replied on 10-11-2012 9:22 AM

Well it took a full 3 weeks to get the results, but we got good news yesterday:  low risk on all 3 trisomies (1 in 10,000).  No amnio, yay!  Smile 

Not Ranked
Posts 154
Chryseis replied on 10-11-2012 2:51 PM

Yay, ct528, congrats! We ended up doing the NT scan too in the end, and combined with our 1st trimester bloodwork it totally confirmed the Harmony results. Hooray for no ambiguity!

Me: 30, DH: 29

Married August 2008

Baby Boy April 2013

http://tcoyf.com/members/chryseis/charts/default.aspx

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS