spotting while ebf

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 218
RC Youngs Posted: 04-30-2012 1:27 PM

Hi all! 

My little one is a little over 3 months. He nurses on demand, no paci, no supplements, still nurses at night. I wear him all the time and he sleeps with me most of the night. Sat I started some light spotting, which was mostly gone Sunday and then I had another bit of spotting this morning. I have read some places that spotting is normal while breastfeeding, and other places that spotting means the return of fertility. I am not charting yet and am not on any form of bc. I was hoping that ebf would delay fertility long enough that we wouldn't mind another little one, but I am not ready yet! Should I assume I am fertile or do you think its just spotting not in relation to fertility? I don't have any cramps or anything....

Any advice would be so much appreciated!

Baby Boy baby boy born 1/28/12 naturally after 42 hour labor!

baby girl born 8/7/14 naturally after another long labor!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,034
beenerbrat replied on 04-30-2012 2:51 PM

hi there! i think i would always assume i was fertile if i wasn't taking birth control, even if i was EBF. i think i read on Kellymom that the baby has to nurse extremely frequently for EBF to be a very, very reliable form of birth control.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,203
edelweiss98 replied on 05-10-2012 7:31 PM

If you want to wait longer (and I totally understand with a 3 mo old!) I wouldn't assume you're still infertile. I'd start charting and maybe use a back up for of birth control like a barrier method. There are rules for LAM for the first 6 mos and it includes nursing throughout the day and night, no pacifiers, no pumping/bottles. I personally did not have fertility return for almost 18 mos but we also co-slept which is supposed to really help. In the end, though, I think every woman's body is different regardless of how often you nurse.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,284
atavares replied on 05-10-2012 10:00 PM

I would assume that you are fertile.  With both my DDs my first PPAF came at 3.5 months.  I wasn't paying attention prior, but I can tell you I ovulate every month and my fertility is returned at that point even though I EBF on demand.

Me: 34  DH: 36 Married August 9, 2008

DD1 almost 4 and a half - February 23, 2010

DD2 almost 3 - October 18, 2011

Twins (DD3 and DS1) brand new - July 28, 2014

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,251
deblynn replied on 05-12-2012 11:46 AM

I ditto everyone else.  Assume you are fertile if you are serious about TTA.  I EBF my 2nd for 6 months (with #1 we started cereal around 4.5 months).  AF returned with #1 at 4.5 so I was hoping EBF longer with #2 would delay AF a while.  Well, it kinda worked.  AF arrived at 5.5 months pp.  So I do not trust EBF as BC.  I did spot after #1 around 2 months pp so maybe it was a warning sign?

Debbie (33) DH (30) Baby Girl (7) Baby Girl (3)

Our family is complete.  Done TTA and TTC!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 933
kcl replied on 05-14-2012 3:30 PM

I have been spotting for a day or two every month like clockwork since DS turned 6 months.  I assumed my fertility had returned, but that my periods were not arriving because of my IUD.  Well, I had my IUD taken out just before Easter.  One month later, I had a day or two of spotting.  I guess I'm not having try cycles yet.  

I guess I'm just chiming in to say that I have monthly spotting with no periods yet.  It's been 5 months of this.  I'm treating myself as though I could become fertile any month now and am using condoms every time.  We are not ready (yet) to get pregnant with #2.  I thought I might try to chart (just with the spotting and sensations, no temping), but this just seemed more complicated than it was worth.  Condoms are a much simpler choice.  And frankly, more it's much more reliable than charting without temps.

Me & DH & Baby Boy June 2011, BFed for 17 months and 1 week

3 Broken Heart 6/2010 @ 6wks,  8/2010 @ 4wks & missed miscarriage found 2/27/2013 @ 9 weeks measured 6.5 weeks  D&E 3/4/13, retained tissue, took Misoprostol 3/12/13, still had retained tissue (confirmed through u/s, HCG at 146 on 4/26/13) D&E #2 4/30/13, 5/2/13 - u/s and bloodwork (HCG = 14!) confirm that this is almost over!

A 5th BFP 10/5/13, EDD one day before my DS's 3rd birthday!

BabyFruit Ticker

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS