spotting while ebf

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 219
RC Youngs Posted: Mon, Apr 30 2012 1:27 PM

Hi all! 

My little one is a little over 3 months. He nurses on demand, no paci, no supplements, still nurses at night. I wear him all the time and he sleeps with me most of the night. Sat I started some light spotting, which was mostly gone Sunday and then I had another bit of spotting this morning. I have read some places that spotting is normal while breastfeeding, and other places that spotting means the return of fertility. I am not charting yet and am not on any form of bc. I was hoping that ebf would delay fertility long enough that we wouldn't mind another little one, but I am not ready yet! Should I assume I am fertile or do you think its just spotting not in relation to fertility? I don't have any cramps or anything....

Any advice would be so much appreciated!

Baby Boy baby boy born 1/28/12 naturally after 42 hour labor!

baby girl born 8/7/14 naturally after another long labor!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,034
beenerbrat replied on Mon, Apr 30 2012 2:51 PM

hi there! i think i would always assume i was fertile if i wasn't taking birth control, even if i was EBF. i think i read on Kellymom that the baby has to nurse extremely frequently for EBF to be a very, very reliable form of birth control.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,206
edelweiss98 replied on Thu, May 10 2012 7:31 PM

If you want to wait longer (and I totally understand with a 3 mo old!) I wouldn't assume you're still infertile. I'd start charting and maybe use a back up for of birth control like a barrier method. There are rules for LAM for the first 6 mos and it includes nursing throughout the day and night, no pacifiers, no pumping/bottles. I personally did not have fertility return for almost 18 mos but we also co-slept which is supposed to really help. In the end, though, I think every woman's body is different regardless of how often you nurse.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,284
atavares replied on Thu, May 10 2012 10:00 PM

I would assume that you are fertile.  With both my DDs my first PPAF came at 3.5 months.  I wasn't paying attention prior, but I can tell you I ovulate every month and my fertility is returned at that point even though I EBF on demand.

Me: 34  DH: 36 Married August 9, 2008

DD1 almost 4 and a half - February 23, 2010

DD2 almost 3 - October 18, 2011

Twins (DD3 and DS1) brand new - July 28, 2014

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,264
deblynn replied on Sat, May 12 2012 11:46 AM

I ditto everyone else.  Assume you are fertile if you are serious about TTA.  I EBF my 2nd for 6 months (with #1 we started cereal around 4.5 months).  AF returned with #1 at 4.5 so I was hoping EBF longer with #2 would delay AF a while.  Well, it kinda worked.  AF arrived at 5.5 months pp.  So I do not trust EBF as BC.  I did spot after #1 around 2 months pp so maybe it was a warning sign?

Debbie (33) DH (30) Baby Girl (7) Baby Girl (3)

Our family is complete.  Done TTA and TTC!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 933
kcl replied on Mon, May 14 2012 3:30 PM

I have been spotting for a day or two every month like clockwork since DS turned 6 months.  I assumed my fertility had returned, but that my periods were not arriving because of my IUD.  Well, I had my IUD taken out just before Easter.  One month later, I had a day or two of spotting.  I guess I'm not having try cycles yet.  

I guess I'm just chiming in to say that I have monthly spotting with no periods yet.  It's been 5 months of this.  I'm treating myself as though I could become fertile any month now and am using condoms every time.  We are not ready (yet) to get pregnant with #2.  I thought I might try to chart (just with the spotting and sensations, no temping), but this just seemed more complicated than it was worth.  Condoms are a much simpler choice.  And frankly, more it's much more reliable than charting without temps.

Me & DH & Baby Boy June 2011, BFed for 17 months and 1 week

3 Broken Heart 6/2010 @ 6wks,  8/2010 @ 4wks & missed miscarriage found 2/27/2013 @ 9 weeks measured 6.5 weeks  D&E 3/4/13, retained tissue, took Misoprostol 3/12/13, still had retained tissue (confirmed through u/s, HCG at 146 on 4/26/13) D&E #2 4/30/13, 5/2/13 - u/s and bloodwork (HCG = 14!) confirm that this is almost over!

A 5th BFP 10/5/13, EDD one day before my DS's 3rd birthday!

BabyFruit Ticker

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS