Anyone had such a situation and went on to see a heartbeat and have a successful pregnancy?
My next u/s is Tuesday (at 7 weeks), and dr basically said that unless I have my dates wrong, then it is unlikely to be good news. She said if there's no visible heartbeat this time, then I will have to take steps to get my next cycle started. (Told me to decide before Tuesday whether I will have a D&C or take medication for this purpose - very depressing decision to make!)
I know my dates are not wrong, since I had a very clear temp rise at O, although my PG test at 14 dpo was very faint for this time with a very sensitive early test.
I think I'm probably setting myself up for more heartbreak by keeping a little hope in my heart, but can't seem to help it. DH on the other hand is already focusing on our next cycle.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Me (38), DH (40)
TTC #1 since beg. 2011
BFP - 2. April 2012 @ 9 weeks
BFP - 1 August 2012, first scan 28 August = TWINS!!!
& (#1 & #2) due 15 April 2013
and born 7 March 2013
Oh Allisong, I am SO SORRY you are going through this. The anxiety of waiting is so difficult. I totally know what you mean about being heartbroken but still trying to maintain hope. I will say that if you are only measuring a few days behind, that might be a good sign that the pregnancy will catch up. My dr said that it can be normal for pregnancies to range in size a week in either direction, especially when it's so early. There are benchmarks they are looking for, but not every woman or every pregnancy progress in the same way. And some women do not see a heartbeat at 6 weeks. So I think you still might have a chance.
Having just gone through this, I will say that I didn't give up hope until it was obvious there was no way the pregnancy was viable (when we saw no fetal pole or heartbeat two weeks after my first appt). But I also don't think it's a bad thing to begin preparing yourself for what may happen in the next couple of weeks. There's really no good way to prepare, but having conversations with DH about what is best for you guys if the pg doesn't remain is helpful so that you're not as stressed trying to make big decisions at the last minute. I am so glad DH and I had some time to sort through our wishes for how we wanted to handle the m/c and what was best for us at this time. If you want to discuss this more, feel free to PM me. I'm so very sorry you are going through this.
Me: 33 DH: 34
TTC #1 since February 2011, off BCP since September 2008.
BFP 3/11/12!! - @ nearly 10 weeks
BFP 10/22/12 - @ 4.5 weeks
BFP 5/25/13 - two days later
BFP 6/28/13 - another chemical
BFP 2/4/14 - Praying for this little bean to stick!!
My chart: http://tcoyf.com/members/DramaMama12/charts/default.aspx
I have never had a loss, so I can't speak to that. I did want to say that I was always told that measuring the baby is not exact and you can have an error of a week either way in the first tri. So 3 days wouldn't concern me. No hb is scary. But I know my first u/s was scheduled at almost 7 weeks because they wanted to have better odds of seeing something. I also wanted to add (but keep in mind I have not experienced a loss) isn't there a third option of waiting for the m/c to happen naturally (if the baby really didn't make it)? Does she have a reason that is not an option (if you would want that option)? I will be praying for good news on Tuesday.
Do you have any more tests left? You can take a test and see what it tells you it might give you an idea of what to expect on Tuesday. As far as your dr telling you to decide by Tuesday about the D&C I think that is unfair to try to make that decision before you even know what is going on yet or how you will feel after the u/s. Did the Dr have you do a beta HCG test over 48 hours to see if your numbers are doubling?
I was looking at your chart and a couple of your past ones and I was thinking maybe you are off on your O date. Even though it does look like a clear temp shift its not 100% accurate and it seemed like CD13 would be an early O. Was CD 14 your last BD for that cycle? The fact that you had a faint pos on 14DPO seems like it could point toward a later O as well.
Me 26 Him 32 TTC since Dec 2010
Dx with "lean" PCOS Jan 2012
Cycle 13 Metformin 2000mg + Clomid 50mg + preseed + = BFP on 03/10/12 EDD 11/22/12 Thanksgiving day
That seems like pretty harsh advice from the doctor. I was told just before my first ultrasound (6w0d), that the baby can measure a week in either direction and still be ok. And as for a heartbeat, it is not certain that early either. They didn't find one for me either, but said everything looked fine and not to worry. It is always reassuring to hear the heartbeat, but definitely think there is still hope. And I agree with pp about thinking of a third option....just letting things happen naturally. Then you don't have to worry that the doctor was rushing things.
So sorry for the stress and heartache.
DramaMama - thanks, I appreciate your message. Once again, I'm really sorry for your loss and was so sad when I saw your posting from earlier this month. DH is trying not to have any hope, because he thinks the reality will be bad news and having hope just hurts too much. (These last 3 years or so we've been hit on the head with one bad thing after another, so he figures now that instead of it being "our turn" for good luck, we're just losers and shouldn't hope for much. Depressing? Yes!! But not surprising as the timing of our TTC was directly related to wanting to bring something positive into our lives - who knew that TTC would also break our hearts?) AFM - i just can't totally let go of hope, and am obsessing over the internet looking for cases that turned out ok. Unfortunately most of them were cases where the dates were probably wrong, which is not the case for me.
deblynn - I'm hoping for a miracle on Tuesday , but not expecting one. Dr said that the u/s on Tuesday at 7 weeks will leave no double whether it's viable or not - either there is a heartbeat or not. If not, then I should have treatment to terminate. She said it's possible to leave it but it might then drag out to 12 weeks or longer, and it's better to move on sooner rather than later rather than remain for weeks with a pg that will not survive. I guess I see her point.
cgobla - I did do another test this morning, with a really dark line showing immediately, and ended up darker than the control line. But I guess with the hormones of between 6-7 weeks of PG that is not surprising. As for HCG tests, it isn't a standard thing to do here (I'm living in Switzerland). They seem to go by the u/s. No heartbeat = no baby.
Ladies, thank you for your support. I appreciate being able to talk about it here.
Allison - I am so sorry that you are going through this and praying that there will be heartbeat when you go back next time. I know my dates too, but somehow the baby is 2 days ahead, so I think they grow at their own pace and 3 days is within a "normal" range. I was almost 8 weeks this week when I saw the heart beat, but I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks and 5 days and couldn't see ANYTHING except for a circle - the sac and yolk - not even the pole. The doc said that it all looks good though, he was encouraging. I would wait until 7 weeks and a few days before you go back to make sure there was enough time for the little one to grow.
I am praying that the little bean will develop nicely and you will see a heartbeat next week. Please keep us updated!
Lilly (14 weeks) February 2011
Chemical Pregnancy (4 weeks) November 2011
March 26 - BFP!!! Callan Matthew was born on December 4, 2012
Well I think you still have a chance of this working out so I will be hoping for you. I live in Europe too in Italy. Good luck I hope the wait isnt too long.
Just want to tell you that I know of a girl who was pregnant and when she went in for her u/s they said there was no heartbeat and she would need to come back for a D/C. When she went back, they did another u/s and the baby was FINE! She just gave birth to a healthy baby boy last week.
I truly hope this is the case for you. I'm sorry you have such stress and anxiety right now. I will pray for you!
Alicia (25) Levi (25)High-School Sweethearts Born 3/18/11 - My Birth Story
Born 5/11/13 - My birth story
It bugs me that your doc is looking to pull the plug at 7 weeks - it seems way too early to be pushing a D&C or meds. You don't always see a heartbeat at 6 weeks 4 days. I had a friend who didn't see the baby or a heart beat until 7 weeks or later and it's not unheard of on these boards for that to happen as well. So...while it's good to be prepared for the worst, keep some hope as well! If it were me, I would get 2 HCG blood draws done to see what the numbers are doing, then follow up with another u/s at 8 weeks, not 7. Good luck!
Kate (34) DH (35) 7/4/2007 9/12/08 11/1/12DDog (6)
I am really sorry you are going through this.
Usually you should see a heartbeat between 6 to 6.5 weeks, in a viable pregnancy, via transvaginal ultrasound on good up to date ultrasound equipment, assuming the uterus is not retroverted or anything like that. You won't likely see anything via abdominal ultrasound until 7-8 wks or so. I know there are some people who don't see a heartbeat at 6 weeks and things are still okay, but usually if your dates are correct, it's a transvaginal ultrasound on decent equipment, etc., then you really should see one in a viable pregnancy.
DS measured 4 days behind at 6w3d (measured 5w6d) but we still clearly saw a heartbeat at about 117 bpm. The growth within the range of a week being behind is not a big deal, but not seeing a heartbeat at 6.5 weeks is not a good sign when you are sure of the dates and everything else was normal. With my current prg we saw the heartbeat at 6 wks exactly, and they scheduled the appointment for then expecting to see a heartbeat.
Personally I don't think beta's are very useful after 5 wks or so because there are no standard rules for doubling times and it mostly just puts people through extra waiting and uncertainty.
Were they able to see a fetal pole and yolk sac or was there just a gestational sac?
Me-28 DH-30 --my blog-www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com
DD-Olivia, angel baby, 9-28-09, 23+2 wks class I HELLP/severe pre-eclampsia, emergency classic c-section (1.5 years ttc)
DS- April 2011, 36w2d, 7lbs 4 oz, 20 inches. (Stressful high risk pregnancy, lovenox and low dose aspirin and gd, but pre-eclampsia and HELLP-free and perfectly healthy baby.) (femara 7.5 mg, HSG-all clear, trigger cd 14, IUI 38 hours later, circle + bloom= BFP 11 dpo (9 cycles TTC))
DS2-10/12- high risk again with lovenox and LDA, no pre-e or HELLP, no GD
I am so sorry you are going through this. I had the same thing happen to me. I went in at 7w3 days and no heartbeat. The baby measured 5 days behind. A week later, no change. I went for the medicine route two times. Neither worked. By 11-12 weeks, I had to have a d&c because the mc was not progressing. Now over 2 years later, I have a precious 12 month old sleeping in my lap. It will get better! I will be praying for you guys.
Thank you ladies for your messages and support. Just a quick reply this morning as my u/s is today and I'm feeling nauseous. (But not for the right reasons!)
I have my "plan of attack" for today, am armed with lots of info on teh science side, and which outcomes will mean termination and which will mean we wait another week.
Used my last IC this morning, nice dark line darker than the control, but not surprising really and doesnt mean much. More concerned about the reduction in my breasts and nips. They're still tender, but I'm taking progesterone so that would explain that anyway. And small cramps "pulling" again yesterday and this morning our little bean is growing.
So not too hopeful, but doing my research will make it a little easier to make a sensible decision.
Good luck today, I hope you see that baby growing and strong!
Me (35) DH (37) =
#1 - January 2009
#2 - May 2102
December 26, 2010 @ 7 weeks
Lava2, Aleigh6, AngieB, wishn4baby, a_flood87, cgobla, daisy12, greeniepea, deblynn, and of course dramamama12 -
Thank you ladies for your messages, I really appreciate your support and kind words.
Here's the update from this morning's u/s - no real resolution yet, but at least it wasn't a definite "no go".
fetus grew the amount it should in 3 days, but we still can't see a
heartbeat. It's now approx. 4.7mm, and officially if a fetus is 5mm long
without a heartbeat it is considered a miscarriage. Dr is not hopeful,
but understood that we want to wait for another scan. She is on vacation
now, so my next appt is Thursday next week, assuming nothing happens in
the mean time.
I have a little more hope than I did before
today, but not a lot more. Dr said she normally sees a heartbeat when
the fetus is only 2-3mm, so she thinks there is something wrong with the
pregnancy. But both DH and I think that if it's growing that must be something positive, since a fetus whose heart has stopped beating (or never started) wouldn't still be growing at a normal pace. But maybe it's just wishful thinking from our side. The doc also said there is also the possibility that what she thinks is the fetus is just umbilical cord or something, and another tiny spot on the u/s is actually the fetus. I guess we'll be able to tell for sure at the scan.
I guess we can only wait and see what happens in the next 10 days, or at the u/s. I don't imagine that it can keep growing at a normal rate without a heartbeat, so I guess then we'll either see a heartbeat or that the growth has stopped and it's over.
So back to waiting for me. If I have any thumbnails left by then it will be a miracle.
So you have to do more waiting how awful. Do you have a tilted uterus? That can make it harder to detect the heart beat. I dont know if you have stumbled across this website http://www.ithoughtiknewmama.com/2011/12/my-misdiagnosed-miscarriage-story/ but that is the story of a women who the dr thought she miscarried and she didnt. A similar case is a long shot but worth knowing about. I wish the best for you
Waiting is the worst! I'm wondering if you do have a really tilted uterus. I have heard of that before and the drs think its a mc since they can't get a good shot of the baby.
With my loss, discovered at 8w3d, it stopped growing right around 7w1d, so I think you're right that it will stop growing at some point very soon if it's not viable. Hopefully you'll have a definitive answer at your next ultrasound. And I hope you just have a tilted uterus or oddly positioned fetus and everything is fine!
Aryn - 38
IUI 10/19/10, BFP 10/31/10, 7 weeks, D&C 12/13/2010, Repeat D&C 1/21/2011, methotrexate shot #1 3/2/2011, methotrexate shot #2 3/18/2011, hemorrhage 4/6/2011, mri 4/29/2011, methotrexate shot #3 5/6/2011, methotrexate shot #4 5/27/2011, HCG finally below 2 6/21/2011
BFP #2 (natural conception) - 11/6/11, EDD 7/12/12
I will continue to pray for you and the baby! I hope that there will be a heartbeat next time and sorry that you have to wait so long to find out. I had a dream with you - not that I know how you look! - the other night. I don't remember anything specific just that you were in it. Hope that means that my prayers are working!
So sorry you're having to go through this stressful situation. I have no words of wisdom, but I'll send you my best wishes in hopes that when it joins those of everyone else, it does some good.
Hang in there, dear... And keep us updated!