Search

help

Implantation Spotting While On Prometrium?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 30
sprinkles Posted: Mon, Feb 6 2012 8:08 PM

Hi ladies,

On the 8th day after my IUI, I noticed that there was a tiny trace of blood on the toilet paper when I wiped.  It was bright red and happened twice that day.  Barely there, but it was definitely blood. 

I didn't notice any blood the next day.

Then today, 10 days after my IUI, there was a bit of blood on the toilet paper AGAIN.  So far it's only happened once today. 

So here's where I'm confused...I'm on vaginal Prometrium because I used to always spot for 3-5 days before CD1 and had a short luteal phase.  

This is my 4th cycle taking Prometrium (400mg / day) and I never had any type of pre-menstrual spotting before while I was on them.  I take them for about 2 weeks after my IUI's, and then I take a PG test.  I thought the Prometrium has "cured" my pre-menstrual spotting. 

I believe in the book Toni says if you spot about 10 days after O, then it might be implantation spotting. I called my RE's nurse to confirm this, but she says that you normally have implantation around day 4 days after O, so she thinks it's too late to be implantation spotting.  I don't know what to think... 

(I took a SHG half a year ago which eliminated the possibility of fibroids, which could cause spotting).

I'm trying not to think about it too much, but how can you not during the TWW, right?!

Could you possibly have implantation spotting while on Prometrium?  What about the timing of it?

Thank you for any feedback!  

TTC#1 since September 2010        Me: 33  DH: 35

DH: Varicocele Grade 2, low counts, morph, motility...taking Chinese herbs. Holding off on surgery for now.

Me: Short Luteal Phase, Retroverted Uterus... acupuncture and Chinese herbs since Sept. 2011

IUI #1: (Dec. 2011) - Clomid, Ovidrel trigger, 3 follicles, Prometrium - BFN
IUI #2: (Jan. 2012) - Letrezole, Ovidrel trigger, 2 follicles, Prometrium - BFN 

IUI #3: (Jan. 2012) - Letrezole, Ovidrel trigger, 1 follicle, Prometrium -- Implantation Spotting??-- BFN
IUI #4: (April 2012) - Letrezole, Ovidrel trigger, (forget how many follicles), Prometrium - BFN

IVF#1: (May 2012) - BCP, Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelex, HCG shot, Crinone - BFN 

IVF #2 (Aug. 2012) - 2 blasts frozen for FET in October!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,088
zzdeleted62686 replied on Mon, Feb 6 2012 8:29 PM

I was on stronger progesterone (PIO shots) and got implantation spotting.  It's common to get it and it is also common to not get anything.  Good luck!  The only way to know is to get through the dreaded TWW.

BTW, four days after ovulation is to soon to get implantation spotting.  During an IVF cycle when they do a transfer after growing an fertilized egg to five days an embryo doesn't finish implantation until after five days.  What I'm trying to say is that implantation in a natural cycle typically finishes around the 8th day after ovulation and then a few more days before you have enough HcG to be detected on a pregnancy home test.

I got implantation spotting 9 days after my 5 day embryo transfer so that was around 14 days past ovulation...I think my embryo was a late implanter and most people would have gotten it about 12 days past ovulation or a day or two sooner.

Things are looking good for you.  Have you taken a home pregnancy test yet?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,232
dj rayne replied on Tue, Feb 7 2012 7:07 AM

For implantation to occur the pahses of both the fertilized egg and lining have to match. They line up between 7-8 DPO. Sometimes 6DPO. Implantation is a process not an event and it lasts from the 7-8DPO until 15DPO. Bleeding can occur from implantation at anytime during that period. It can occur after that point for other reasons. Bleeding during the LP is more often caused from estrogen related issues and not progesterone though if adding P betters you  ration it can improve spotting for some women. PP is correct 4DPO is too early for implantation spotting but it can occur for other reasons. For IVF the blast is introduced into the uterus and doesn't make the trip down the tubes. It is put in around the time it would have normally made it there and when the lining is in pahse and will allow implantation to occur. At 5DPO it still has to lose the zona pellucida and the trophoblast has to form with the added hormones the lining moves into phase about 6DPO and if impalantation is going to occur it beginins sometime in this timeframe. GL.

David Jude

Click HERE for useful tips and information about this site including linking your chart and directions to allow others to view it Flowers  and HERE for Shrug abbreviations.

To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven.  Eccl 3:1

My WebCharts

Not Ranked
Posts 30
sprinkles replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 11:23 AM

Thank you Mopie and dj rayne for both your replies! Your explanations were clear and made a lot of sense.  I still have no idea why the RE nurse told me 8DPO would be too late for implantation spotting and that it's supposed to be around 4DPO.   

I'm dying to take a HPT now, but to avoid a false positive from my HCG trigger I'll wait until this Friday, when it'll be a full 2 weeks post IUI.  I'm feeling anxious and excited at the same time. 

Thanks again, and congrats, Mopie, on your BFP! 

DH: Varicocele Grade 2, low counts, morph, motility...taking Chinese herbs. Holding off on surgery for now.

Me: Short Luteal Phase, Retroverted Uterus... acupuncture and Chinese herbs since Sept. 2011

IUI #3: (Jan. 2012) - Letrezole, Ovidrel trigger, 1 follicle, Prometrium -- Implantation Spotting??-- BFN
IUI #4: (April 2012) - Letrezole, Ovidrel trigger, (forget how many follicles), Prometrium - BFN

Not Ranked
Posts 30
sprinkles replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 11:23 AM

Thank you Mopie and dj rayne for both your replies! Your explanations were clear and made a lot of sense.  I still have no idea why the RE nurse told me 8DPO would be too late for implantation spotting and that it's supposed to be around 4DPO.   

I'm dying to take a HPT now, but to avoid a false positive from my HCG trigger I'll wait until this Friday, when it'll be a full 2 weeks post IUI.  I'm feeling anxious and excited at the same time. 

Thanks again, and congrats, Mopie, on your BFP!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS