help

Cervix soft at 8.5 weeks???

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 69
cheerio Posted: 02-06-2012 8:33 AM

I think I remember reading something about a pregnant woman's cervix hardening by 6-8 weeks. All my other symptoms def. point to a healthy pregnancy, but my cervix feels soft, closed, and swollen. Is this normal or okay? I'm afraid to ask my midwife. Can just imagine her asking why I'm checking and worrying. After 2 very early miscarriages, I so want this one to be okay. Thanks for any help.

Not Ranked
Posts 196
Scoobydoo replied on 02-06-2012 9:55 AM

I have no idea I'm afraid. 

I was just wondering if you could ask for a viability ultrasound? I have a friend who had a blighted ovum that wasn't discovered unti 13 weeks and couldn't get it out of my head. I explained my fears to my dr and she told me that it was very rare, but that I could have an early ultrasound if i wanted to put my mind at ease. I've slept SO much better since we saw that little heart beat an I'm not making myself crazy trying to analyze every symptom (or lack thereof) .

Might make you feel better too? 

http://tcoyf.com/members/Scoobydoo/charts/default.aspx

• Me 33, DH 36
  • DS 9 years old (4 cycles charting) 7lb 14oz.
  • DD born August 2012 via emergency c-section @ 34.5 weeks due to lack of movement - she was 3lb 6oz and came home at 3lb 11oz after 2 weeks in the NICU! Our little fighter! (13 eggs over 17 months + 3 rounds of clomid).

Not Ranked
Posts 404
jessicabe replied on 02-06-2012 10:21 AM

My midwife said it's different for everyone. I was worried about this too. You can ask for an ultrasound. Around here an ultrasound before 13 weeks is only $80. That might be worth some peace of mind. :)

Not Ranked
Posts 486
chantpleure replied on 02-06-2012 10:48 AM

I kept checking my cervix too, it will change!  Mine was quite low, soft and felt a little bit open until about 10 weeks.

Protein C Deficiency (inherited blood clotting disorder) 
Diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis May '03

http://tcoyf.com/members/chantpleure/charts/default.aspx

Not Ranked
Posts 1,382
missmagoo replied on 02-06-2012 11:01 AM

I just went back and checked my early symptoms, and my cervix was closed and firm, but kind of soft on the outside (hard to explain).  I pretty much stopped checking my cervix by about 6 weeks because I was worried about messing with it too much.  But it did stay the same for those first 6 weeks, closed and firm, but with a layer of softness, so definitely different than a regular non-fertile day firm if that makes sense.  

I will say that when I checked it a couple weeks ago (so maybe around 18-20 weeks) it felt REALLY weird- almost spongy.  I haven't ventured to check it again because it freaked me out so much.  

My advice is to stop checking it, it will change throughout your pregnancy, and is different for everyone.  For me, I felt like the less I irritated the cervix, the better.  It is definitely different during pregnancy than normal.  I had a routine pap done at 10 weeks and I bled a fair amount, my NP said it was totally normal and that the cervix is just really vascular while you're pregnant- this is probably why it feels soft and swollen to you.  GL!

Successfully used FAM to avoid pregnancy for 57 cycles

TTC 1 cycle, BFP 9/5/11!

Baby Girl born 5.20.12

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,203
edelweiss98 replied on 02-06-2012 7:14 PM

I wouldn't check just because I think it would increase risk of infection. I know I'll be extra nervous next time I get pregnant since I've had a miscarriage, too, but I just don't think you can predict everything, even with an early u/s. I'm sorry you're worried and I hope everything is going great!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS