help

Ovulation headaches?

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 283
ricosha Posted: 12-21-2011 2:51 PM

Does anyone get ovulation headaches, or know if that's a common symptom?

For the past several months (at least, that's when I started really tracking them) I get headaches about a week before my period.  Some of them are horrible migraines, others just really bad headaches.  I attributed it to a side-effect of my NuvaRing and went off of it when we started TTC 2 months ago. 

I had EWCM yesterday, and tested positive on an Ovulation strip this morning.  This afternoon, I'm getting a horrible headache, and it just dawned on me that it could be related to ovulation, since technically I'm a week or so before I'm due for my next period...

Anyone else, or am I grasping at straws to prove I'm ovulating?  :)

me:  38

DH:  41

DS:  4

TTC #2 since October 2011  (chemical pregnancy 03/12; MC 04/12; chemical pregnancy 08/12)

• October 2012 -- IVF-turned-IUI (failed)
  • June 2013 -- IUI after 100mg Clomid

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/ricosha/charts/default.aspx

twogoodeggsblog.wordpress.com

Twitter: 2_goodeggs

Not Ranked
Posts 79
lulu32 replied on 12-21-2011 2:55 PM

I have gotten terrible migraines since I was 12. It was only in the last few years that I started TTC and paying attention to when I get them in relation to my period that I realized I get them when I ovulate and also when I get my period. 

According to my doctor, this is very common and has to do with the plunging and rising hormones during those times. 

Me (34) + Heart DH (32) 

TTC#1 Since July 2010

April 2011 DH diagnosed varicocele and severe MFI

IVF#1: Sept 2011 / ER: 11 eggs, 6 fertilized / ET: Day 3, 2 transferred, 1 frozen --BFN Sad

IVF# 2: Nov 2011 / ER Only 5 eggs, 3 fertilized/ ET: Day 5, 1 transferred, none to freeze--BFP!!! Smile

IdeaMy blog: http://whatinfertility.blogspot.com/

Not Ranked
Posts 283
ricosha replied on 12-21-2011 2:56 PM

Thanks!  I'm the same way - one of the many "I hate you, Aunt Flo" symptoms that I never tracked until TTC... then it made sense that they were ALWAYS a week before my period - but I never connected that it could be around ovulation.

Do you think you get them the day you ovulate?

me:  38

DH:  41

DS:  4

TTC #2 since October 2011  (chemical pregnancy 03/12; MC 04/12; chemical pregnancy 08/12)

• October 2012 -- IVF-turned-IUI (failed)
  • June 2013 -- IUI after 100mg Clomid

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/ricosha/charts/default.aspx

twogoodeggsblog.wordpress.com

Twitter: 2_goodeggs

Not Ranked
Posts 93
jaime912 replied on 12-21-2011 3:17 PM

Yep I get headaches, ovary pains, light cramping, lower back aches and sometimes nausea all corresponding with O time and LP time.

Not Ranked
Posts 79
lulu32 replied on 12-21-2011 6:49 PM

I would usually get my headaches a day or two after O and then on or the day after my period (sometimes lasting a few days). 

Me (34) + Heart DH (32) 

TTC#1 Since July 2010

April 2011 DH diagnosed varicocele and severe MFI

IVF#1: Sept 2011 / ER: 11 eggs, 6 fertilized / ET: Day 3, 2 transferred, 1 frozen --BFN Sad

IVF# 2: Nov 2011 / ER Only 5 eggs, 3 fertilized/ ET: Day 5, 1 transferred, none to freeze--BFP!!! Smile

IdeaMy blog: http://whatinfertility.blogspot.com/

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,954
want1more replied on 12-21-2011 7:10 PM

I've had migraines since I was 3, caused by a variety of things, my neurologist said that basically I'm sensitive to anything that throws off my equilibrium.

I get a migraine for a couple of days right at ovulation (so maybe the day before and day of) and also starting a day or two before my period and for about four days.

Those are just the hormonal ones - I found they were much better when I was on the 3-month birth control pills, as my hormone levels stayed more on track.  This pregnancy has been absolutely awful - I had a migraine this week lasting about 6 days - now it has at least turned into a normal headache.

My PMS symptoms show up about a week before my period is due.  My mom used to ask me if I was having my period, when it was always about a week away yet.  Must be some crazy hormonal stuff happening about that time as well?

Me 39
My Chart

Baby Girl (19 months) and two older Baby Boy (16) Baby Girl (15)

7 Broken Heart - most recent July 2013 @ 9 weeks

Dealing with lots of autoimmune stuff. Graves' disease, hearing loss, severe food allergies, asthma, repeat miscarriage.

Not Ranked
Posts 71
SadieLady replied on 02-06-2012 9:34 PM

Yes, migraines during ovulation. I didn't even notice, but when my husband pointed it out to me.

http://tcoyf.com/members/SadieLady/charts/default.aspx

Happily married with a wonderful dog named Sadie. 

I'm 28 years old, husband is 29.

Trying to conceive since March, 2011.

Ovarian tumor found and removed, along with one ovary and tube, towards the end of August 2011.

Now pregnant and due on Dec. 11th.

Not Ranked
Posts 149
alainahale replied on 02-07-2012 3:11 PM

Since I started charting 8 months ago, I also noticed headaches/migraines about a week after ovulation.  I think it's due to high progesterone (a good thing, but man, what a headache).  I have read that progesterone supplements have headaches as a side effect.  I am going to have my progesterone tested this cycle, so I should learn if my theory is correct about it being high, correlating with headache time.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,192
edelweiss98 replied on 02-07-2012 4:53 PM

I get headaches during my LP, too.

Not Ranked
Posts 396
CWags22 replied on 02-07-2012 4:54 PM

Glad to know I'm not crazy!  I get headaches three times per cycle:

1. The day after O, as my progesterone goes up.

2. Sometimes mid-LP the evening before I see a large temp jump.

3. The night before AF starts.

I'm guessing it's just the rising and falling of progesterone.

Me-31 DH-31

TTC #1 since 10/11; unexplained infertility.  IVF revealed egg quality issues with funky duplication at fertilization.

October 2012 -- Starting IVF! Antagonist protocol w/Ganirelix.  22 eggs retrieved, 21 mature, ICSI on half, only 7 total fertilized normally. 

DS Baby Boy born 5/22/13 at 35 weeks due to pre-eclampsia.  Happy healthy boy with no NICU time!

These are the days of miracle and wonder...

Everything will be okay in the end.  If it's not okay, it's not the end.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Not Ranked
Posts 143
crabrangoon replied on 02-08-2012 9:48 PM

Yup, me too, day of O and few days around start of AF.

On occasion I get a cyst during O, and the migraine (and other O symptoms, like cramping and bloating etc) hang around til the cyst pops.

Ibuprofen helps me with the migraine & other symptoms of AF, but doesn't seem to touch the one around O...

Heart"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." -Terry Pratchett Heart

Idea just pretend there's a cool ticker here; my cycle keeps changing, and they can't keep up! Idea

My chart (I hope) - http://tcoyf.com/members/crabrangoon/pccharts/default.aspx 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,954
want1more replied on 02-08-2012 11:21 PM

crabrangoon:

Ibuprofen helps me with the migraine & other symptoms of AF, but doesn't seem to touch the one around O...

Just remember that ibuprofen can delay o and cause lining issues if TTC.  I'm pretty sensitive to it and it will throw o wayyyy off for me.

Me 39
My Chart

Baby Girl (19 months) and two older Baby Boy (16) Baby Girl (15)

7 Broken Heart - most recent July 2013 @ 9 weeks

Dealing with lots of autoimmune stuff. Graves' disease, hearing loss, severe food allergies, asthma, repeat miscarriage.

Not Ranked
Posts 143
crabrangoon replied on 02-09-2012 10:46 AM

I try not to use it until I absolutely have to - for me, if I take too much ibu at the beginning of AF, AF will stop completely! Other PMS symptoms will go away as well... but just because it's stopped, doesn't mean it's GONE anywhere, and eventually AF will complete itself, but man it's a tough balance to find, how much ibu is useful but doesn't screw things up too much... and I've heard that it can cause implantation problems and such, too, so I won't use it til AF is definitely started!

Heart"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." -Terry Pratchett Heart

Idea just pretend there's a cool ticker here; my cycle keeps changing, and they can't keep up! Idea

My chart (I hope) - http://tcoyf.com/members/crabrangoon/pccharts/default.aspx 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS