help

Success stories with IUI

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 62
Mack Posted: 12-16-2011 12:16 PM

I guess the IUI option is an easy place to start when out of pocket, but does it actually work for anyone? It seems all the siggies have failed IUI's....

Alicia

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 675
Sammy1 replied on 12-16-2011 7:07 PM

My understanding is that, across the board, IUI has about a 20% success rate. It's higher or lower for individual cases depending on the reason for infertility (although your chance of getting pg with IUI is never more than what it is for the average fertile couple per cycle, about 20-25%), which is also why you can't find a really reliable % success on the internet; there is so much variation. But my clinic says about 20% is pretty much what it is. As you can see, IUI failed for me (you can also see why it failed in my siggie) but I've seen lots of women on here that it has actually worked for. GL to you!

Not Ranked
Posts 85
kittymommy replied on 12-16-2011 7:52 PM

It worked for us on our first shot and we got pregnant with twins.  We did Femara + Gonal F injectibles.  Unfortunately that pregnancy ended in MC at 9 weeks.  I am stimming now and gearing up for another IUI next week, and we are following the same protocol.  I think especially for cases of unexplained IF, this is a good first step before jumping into IVF.  I am 36 and DH is 37 FWIW.  Good luck to you!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 733
pixie1120 replied on 12-16-2011 8:03 PM

I've never had one, but my cousin has a daughter via iui that will be three in March, and just recently they announced they are expecting triplets by iui in July.  Their daughter was from the 2nd or 3rd attempt, and not sure how many times they tried this time.  All I know for sure is that she was on clomid.

Not Ranked
Posts 106
graceisgone replied on 01-02-2012 6:57 PM

worked twice for me - 2nd injectable cycle for my first pregnancy

first injectable cycle for my second pregnancy - twins

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,330
Maygirl17 replied on 01-02-2012 8:12 PM

There are at least 2 women in our Supporting the ARTS group that had it work for them last month.

Not Ranked
Posts 931
MommyBlessedWith2 replied on 01-02-2012 8:52 PM

When TTC #1 IUI worked for us. My DH's count was markedly better then (16-20 million) but I also had ovulation issues. IUI 1 failed. On try #2 we had 5 follies and conceived one beautiful girl. For our circumstances at the time, my RE told me that IUIraised our chances per cycle to an average couple... About 20% per attempt up to about 5-6 attempts.

Not Ranked
Posts 1,898
JoyfulGirl replied on 01-03-2012 7:46 AM

I know quite a few people who were successful with IUIs.  I had four IUIs and three of them resulted in pregnancy.  The first two were Angel, but the third pregnancy was my twins.  We used injectables all four cycles and we had 2-3 mature follicles at the time of trigger each time.

Good luck to youLuck

Not Ranked
Posts 272
natpink replied on 01-03-2012 9:54 AM

I love hearing all the successful IUI stories.  Smile We have been TTC#1 for 21 months, have unexplained IF and are moving onto IUI with injectables next cycle. The RE gave us a 20% chance of success and 25% chance of twins.  Good luck to you!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 984
eagerforbaby1 replied on 01-03-2012 9:10 PM

My first IUI worked with only 50mg Clomid. It ended in a loss, but it had nothing to do with the IUI,

Not Ranked
Posts 309
Bibliophile replied on 01-09-2012 9:22 PM

I am replying since I combed the archives looking for threads just like this when I started trying for an IUI.  See my sig- it worked for me the first time I got to do it, with only one egg that had any real chance of being fertilized.  That was to be our last attempt before moving on to IVF- could have knocked me over with a feather when I got the BFP.  It can happen!

Not Ranked
Posts 261
Lovebug81 replied on 01-10-2012 7:32 AM

It worked for us. We had tried two cycles of timed intercourse with Clomid, which failed. But our first cycle doing Clomdi, Ovidrel, and IUI was a success.

It was suggested that I do IVF but DH and I weren't comfortable with that, so we were pretty lucky that the IUI worked for us the first time.

Good luck!

Not Ranked
Posts 473
shelleys replied on 01-21-2012 3:05 PM

Bumping this up. DH and I have been TTC #1 for about 20 cycles. Finally saw an RE in late 2011, diagnosed with unexplained IF, moving straight to IUI w/injectables this cycle. Just started on Wednesday 75 IU of Gonal-f. Going in on Monday for my first u/s & bloodwork since starting Gonal-f to see progress. So far this has felt like going through the motions, not really something that could actually result in a BFP in a few weeks. But just today I got a craving for IUI success stories, especially those w/injectables/Gonal-f.

So please, share more stories! Flowers

Not Ranked
Posts 85
kittymommy replied on 01-23-2012 9:52 AM

Hi Shelley - I wanted to chime in again to give you some encouragement.  I had replied to the original post a few weeks back and just wanted to let you know we had success again on our 2nd injectable IUI cycle (Femara + Gonal again and we also used acupuncture as we did in our first round).  We are also a case of unexplained IF.  With your age and DH's good SA, I would recommend trying IUI with injectables at least 3 times before considering IVF.  You will most likely respond well and get multiple follicles, giving you a great shot at a BFP.  Best of luck to you and feel free to PM me with any questions.

Not Ranked
Posts 473
shelleys replied on 01-27-2012 12:35 PM

Thanks kittymommy, I appreciate your response! This board has been so helpful in giving me hope. It's hard after trying for so long to picture really getting pregnant now after everything but I have a lot of hope that between growing better and extra eggs, and the sperm wash, and the IUI putting the sperm inside my uterus (vs just at my cervix), this could be it! Really hope so. We do have IVF coverage and I'm 100% willing to try it but obviously I want to do this the in the easiest, cheapest way possible!

Not Ranked
Posts 122
goodmom2b replied on 02-10-2012 1:50 PM

We have done 2 rounds of unmedicated IUI and two rounds of Clomid+trigger+IUI, all BFN's. We are moving onto injectables next month. We have to take a cycle off due to an ovarian cyst. Really hoping it works next month!

Not Ranked
Posts 182
bmashmore replied on 02-18-2012 7:13 PM

Shelley: I can't believe we started this journey together and we are here going through this together!!! 

I will have my first IUI at the end of this month!!!  I am not using injectibles...just my own ovulation and see what happens.  We are planned to do IUI for the next three months and then go to IVF in July if we are unsuccessful.  Best wishes to everyone!!  Hopefully we will have some more IUI success sotories to add Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 522
CourtneyD replied on 02-21-2012 2:39 PM

I had to chime in with my IUI success story. We just received confirmation today that IUI #2 worked for us. It's my first every BFP after TTC for 24+ months. My first IUI in Jan 2011 was with 50mg Clomid and ended in a BFN. (ended up taking a whole year off after that).This IUI was mostly unmedicated with only a mid cycle u/s and trigger shot to help time IUI, and we had success.

Good luck to everyone out there. I honestly didn't think it would work since we'd had one failed IUI previously, and I had argued with my new RE that I wanted to go straight to IVF in March. We compromised, with him asking me to try one natural IUI through his office on my Feb cycle, and man am I glad we did it! Saved us probably $12K since everything was going to have to be out of pocket.

Just keep u the Pray.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS