help

RFing - long legs - what do you do?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 2,265
CClovesJC Posted: 11-06-2011 9:24 PM

DD is a petite little thing - weighing in at 25 lbs at 2.5 yrs and about 33(ish) inches. She's RFing and I intend to keep her that way as long as I can (especially b/c DS is 8 mo and it would be easier on all of us for them to BOTH stay that way.) But her legs are getting a bit scrunched in the seat. Just looking for ideas on what everyone else did - did you have your kiddo sit a certain way that I'm thinking of?

FYI - we have a Britax Roundabout 50 (RF up to 35 lbs) and have a Land Rover LR3.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,089
cand82 replied on 11-07-2011 3:38 AM

I don't have experience but here in Sweden kids sit RFing up until 3 or 4 years of age. They can just bend their legs or cross them. Kids are way more flexible than us and sitting with scrunched legs for them is not the same as how we'd feel if we sat the same way. As you said RFing is the best for small children because they have such heavy heads in comparison to body weight, and research here in Sweden has shown that children here fair significantly better in a severe accidents compared to children seated FFing. So I guess I'd just leave her be, she'll figure out how to sit.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 6,512
piper replied on 11-07-2011 7:06 AM

We switched DS to FF at 3 but before that he would hang his legs off to the side..... he never complainedStick out tongue 

me: 36 Kiss  DH: 46

Baby Boy Sept 2008 - IVF/ICSI

Baby Girl March 2011 - au natural

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 23,948
Calladona replied on 11-07-2011 6:58 PM

My 3 year old is much taller and RFing...  she just bends her knees or hangs her legs off the sides...  She has never complained.

Susan - 33 married to Chris - 34

Baby GirlCatherine Anne born via c-section June 30, 2008

Baby GirlRebecca Marie born naturally April 18, 2010

Baby BoyJohn McNary born naturally January 9, 2012

Baby GirlJulia Grace born naturally August 26, 2013

Not Ranked
Posts 1,243
MrsBeach replied on 11-07-2011 8:02 PM

DS is a bit taller than your DD and he mostly sits with his legs off the sides as others have mentioned. We plan to RF to 45lbs which is the highest limit we could find in Canada.

Me: 31 DH: 41 DS1: 3/12/10 DS2: 11/11/11

Angel June 2008 Angel July 2008 Angel September 2008 Angel May 2009 Angel November 2013 Angel August 2014

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 15 to 80 day cycle tickers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,781
hnl0622 replied on 11-07-2011 8:30 PM

My DS has the same stats and he's never shown any signs of being uncomfortable rearfacing.  He has lower tone though so he tends to fall into the criss/cross position.  DS1 was much larger than DS2 at the same age and he never had any issues rearfacing either - just crossed his legs I guess.

Me:  33     DH:  35

AngelBaby Boy:  1/21/06 19 weeks

Angel:  6/21/06 5 weeks

Baby Boy:  7/27/07 C-section

Baby Boy:  7/20/09  VBAC

Baby Girl:  Due 6/13/13

Not Ranked
Posts 2,265
CClovesJC replied on 11-08-2011 10:03 PM

Thanks. She's never mentioned or acted uncomfortable at all but DH was getting concerned she was. Right now she just puts them straight and kind of up on the seat or to the side. She's never be FF or really even seen other kids who are so she doesn't know any different and my goal is to keep her that way until it's time for DS to turn so he doesn't want to turn either. (DS is A LOT bigger and will probably meet that 35 lb limit faster than her but hopefully it'll slow down to keep them both RF forr a nice long time.)

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Jenster2 replied on 11-08-2011 10:40 PM

My 2.5yr old is RF and will be for another year or so.  My DH was getting "concerned" that she was squished so I suggested he try sitting on a high stool with his legs dangling for an hour (typical car ride length around here) and then leaning back in the massage chair with his legs up on an ottoman for an hour and see which one was more comfortable.  Big Smile

Sitting cross-legged, kicking up the legs up the top of the seat, hanging them off the sides...  they'll keep themselves comfy and they have more options than if their legs are dangling/hanging in a FF seat.  Now  *THAT* seems more uncomfy to me.  I'm short and have always had to deal with my legs not touching the floor in a lot of seats.  Hate it!  My church has racks under the chairs that I use to keep my feet up during the services or I'd probably hate going to church.  The chairs are so cushy and tall my feet don't touch the floor.

Jen 

Not Ranked
Posts 307
LPD33 replied on 11-09-2011 6:12 AM

It really doesn't bother them believe it or not.  My son is forward facing in my car and rear facing in his Dad's car and he seems to like the rearfacing for his legs better.  He props them up on the backseat :). 

I take him in longer trips in my car, though, so he will have a hissy if he has to rearface for longer than like 10 minutes because he wants to be around to see what's going on. 

He is 2 years, 8 months and about 6 inches taller than your daughter and 8 pounds bigger, so if his legs are fine rearfacing, she is fine.  Laugh 

FlowersMe (34) and Stick out tongueDP (36) and Baby BoyDS, Luke Patrick (5) and one Angel (2007). His kids : (11, 9, and 7)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS