help

Only one follicle for IUI - help

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 249
wee_pee Posted: 08-23-2011 9:35 PM

After my Day 9 and Day 11 (today) scans I've only got one dominant follicle, about 19.5mm today, for my first IUI which is planned sometime in the next 2 days or so. The others (4 of them) are all around 12-13mm. I'm still waiting to hear what my bloods showed this morning (CD9 bloods were really good, E2 was 786) so hopefully it's still going up and maybe I'm panicking a little. But what is the probability of IUI being successful with only one follie??! Any success stories out there?! I'm on Gonal-F this cycle for the first time too, after four failed rounds of Clomid. Would love some reassurance.

Me ~ 33, Him ~ 32; met 4/9/'03, married 4/9/'08

TTC #1 since 11/'09: unexplained infertility

Angel October 2011 (IUI; 10 wks, after healthy heartbeat; missed m/c, Cytotec + completed naturally)

Angel May 2012 (IUI; 9 wks, empty sac, Cytotec didn't work, D&C)

Angel November 2012 (natural IUI; 5 wks, early loss)

Angel July 2013 (IVF/PGD; 12-15 wks, empty sac found at 6 wks on 21/5/'13, waiting out a natural m/c, took over three painful months; finally confirmed complete on 10th August 2013 before a scheduled D&C)

Taking a break and doing comprehensive immune testing re: Dr. Beer's protocol.

IUI #6 in November 2013, after Chicago bloods testing and full immune testing per Dr Beer: diagnosis of moderately high NK cells and positive ACAs. Treatment: Prednisolone, Clexane, high dose progesterone, intralipids, IVIg, gluten-free diet, plenty of exercise and Circle + Bloom: success! Baby girl due mid-August 2014.

Never give up!

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 764
sblake001 replied on 08-24-2011 9:28 AM

I know of several people who were successful with IUI's with only one follicle, don't throw in the towel yet!  Good luck.

Sarah 

Me (38), DH (42) Kiss

TTC #1 for 14 months, charting for 10 months, acupuncture, chinese herbs, fish oil, Spirulina.  IUI #1 w/ Clomid - chemical pregnancy, IUI #2 with injectables - BFP at 11DPO, Beta #1 @ 14DPO - 441, Beta #2 @ 16DPO - 915, Beta #3 @ 18 DPO - 1665, Beta #4 @ 20 DPO - 2856. 

TTC#2 - IUI #1 with 37.5iu Gonal-F - BFN, IUI #2 with 75iu Gonal-F - BFN, BFP at 11DPO on last cycle before starting IVF.  Beta #1@ 12DPO - 300, Beta #2@ 14DPO - 840, Beta #3@ 16DPO - 1550, Beta #4 @ 18DPO - 2822. 

TTC#3 - Started June 2013, IUI#1 with 75iu Gonal-F BFN. IVF#1 September 2013 - Lupron Stop ProtocolFingers Crossed  Continually told 4-6 follicles during stimming, but at ER retrieved 12 eggs, 10 fertilized. 1/2 ICSI, 1/2 natural fertilization. 2 hatching blasts transferred on Day 5.  BFP on HPT on 6pt5dt (11DPO), Beta #1@ 9dp5dt(14 dpo) - 282, Beta #2@ 11dp5dt(16 dpo) - 846, doubling time 30 hours, Beta #3@13dp5dt (18dpo) - 2007, 38.5 hour doubling time.  First Ultrasound at 5w3d, it's twins! BabyBaby.  Heartbeats seen at 6w3d. Angel Twin A lost at 9 weeks.  It's a Baby Girl

June & December 2010, February 2012 Angel chemicals, July 2010 Angel 5 weeks 6 days, suspected ectopic

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/sblake001/charts/default.aspx

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/sblake001/pccharts/21.aspx

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,088
zzdeleted62686 replied on 08-24-2011 1:34 PM

Me too...I know of one gal here that was so upset about her one mesely follicle and then two weeks later said she was so shocked she was pregnant!  Good luck and love that follicle with all your heart!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 2,504
AngieB replied on 08-24-2011 4:51 PM

DS is a one follicle-IUI baby. :) We actually only wanted one follicle because my risks with multiples are too high and they would have probably cancelled my cycle with more than one or two follies.

Me-28 DH-30 --my blog-www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com

DD-Olivia, angel babyAngel, 9-28-09, 23+2 wks class I HELLP/severe pre-eclampsia, emergency classic c-section (1.5 years ttc) 

DS- April 2011, 36w2d, 7lbs 4 oz, 20 inches. (Stressful high risk pregnancy, lovenox and low dose aspirin and gd, but pre-eclampsia and HELLP-free and perfectly healthy baby.)  (femara 7.5 mg, HSG-all clear, trigger cd 14, IUI 38 hours later, circle + bloom= BFP 11 dpo (9 cycles TTC))

DS2-10/12- high risk again with lovenox and LDA, no pre-e or HELLP, no GD

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 675
Sammy1 replied on 08-24-2011 5:57 PM

Hi wee_pee, unfortunately I don't have a success story - YET - to share with you but wanted to let you know that my RE's goal for me is only one follicle, two at the most. One of these times I'll get pg and update you with that news. Flowers

Good luck to you!! I hope you get your BFP on the first try with that follicle! Baby Dust

Me (35) + DH (39) + 4 furbabies = Heart

TTC #1 since October 2010, see my bio for infertility history

July 19, 2012: FET #1 of the one blast frozen from first fresh IVF-- BFP at 5dp5dt!! Baby   beta #1, 6dp5dt = 20; beta #2, 12dp5dt = 412 (DT = 34 hours); beta #3, 14 dp5dt = 907 (DT = 42 hours). EDD April 6, 2013. It's a Baby Boy!

April 19, 2013: Baby Boy born 41w6d at 9lbs6oz!

My Chart               

Not Ranked
Posts 249
wee_pee replied on 08-24-2011 7:21 PM

Thank you so much ladies ~ you have all put my mind at ease a little more. I found it hard to sleep last night I was just thinking about this so much. DH has retreated a little into his 'cave' (anyone ever read Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus?! - I read it eons ago and came home one day to find him reading it on the sofa...ever since then we laugh about my 'well' and his 'cave'!!!Stick out tongue) and we didn't really talk too much about it last night. I think we are both really worried that it won't work as the one follie does lower our chances. But we are both trying hard to remain positive...I spent the commute into work this morning visualising my baby, when and if he/she arrives!!!! Have a lovely picture in my head and, Mopie, I am loving this one follicle with all my heart!! Thanks a million again - you all really are the most supportive girls in the world. I know no-one else who would understand where I am at, at the moment Smile

So I gave myself the Ovidrel trigger this morning at 8am and the IUI is scheduled for tomorrow morning at 8am. Does that timing sound about right to you?

Angel October 2011 (IUI; 10 wks, after healthy heartbeat; missed m/c, Cytotec + completed naturally)

Angel July 2013 (IVF/PGD; 12-15 wks, empty sac found at 6 wks on 21/5/'13, waiting out a natural m/c, took over three painful months; finally confirmed complete on 10th August 2013 before a scheduled D&C)

IUI #6 in November 2013, after Chicago bloods testing and full immune testing per Dr Beer: diagnosis of moderately high NK cells and positive ACAs. Treatment: Prednisolone, Clexane, high dose progesterone, intralipids, IVIg, gluten-free diet, plenty of exercise and Circle + Bloom: success! Baby girl due mid-August 2014.

Never give up!

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Not Ranked
Posts 249
wee_pee replied on 08-24-2011 7:24 PM

Sammy1 - I just saw your siggie, I'm so sorry for this cycle. Thinking of you and praying hard for both of us...at least the bikes are out of the equation. It will happen for you soon ~ third time lucky! Baby Dust

Never give up!

Not Ranked
Posts 249
wee_pee replied on 08-24-2011 7:24 PM

Double post Indifferent

Never give up!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 675
Sammy1 replied on 08-25-2011 1:19 AM

Thanks wee_pee for the encouraging thoughts. I'm hoping for both of us too. Smile I was bummed when AF showed up today, a day early, but I had a little cry and I'm okay now. Better luck for next cycle, and you're right, I'm so happy the bikes are out of the equation; this could be worse!

I wanted to tell you a couple of other things I just remembered. First, I did have two great follicles during my first IUI cycle and two great follicles during my second IUI cycle. Those were BFNs...so just because you have more than one follicle doesn't mean your chances are especially greater. Furthermore, I also asked my RE about that during my first IUI and he said that even with two follicles the probability for pregnancy is still about the same (for me about 20-25%). Your chances don't double like you might think (or at least like I was wishfully thinking), they just go up a tiny bit. It has to to with specific things that happen during the process of sperm getting to the egg(s) and fertilization. I love Mopie's advice, so sweet: just love that one follicle with all your heart!

Your Ovidrel timing sounds great! Lots of REs have you trigger 24 hours before IUI. You'll O 36-44 hours after the trigger, so sperm will have time to get to the tube. Good luck at your appt and let us know how it went!

Baby DustBaby DustBaby Dust

July 19, 2012: FET #1 of the one blast frozen from first fresh IVF-- BFP at 5dp5dt!! Baby   beta #1, 6dp5dt = 20; beta #2, 12dp5dt = 412 (DT = 34 hours); beta #3, 14 dp5dt = 907 (DT = 42 hours). EDD April 6, 2013. It's a Baby Boy!

My Chart               

Not Ranked
Posts 526
Purple77 replied on 08-25-2011 9:25 AM

Hi wee_pee--sending very positive thoughts to your one follicle!  I'm a one follicle success story.  My first IUI was supposed to be last month and I was so bummed to only have one follicle.  It was my first cycle on letrozole.  I ended up ovulating earlier than they expected and they were unable to do the IUI--the timing of it wouldn't have worked out (it would have been on a Sat, the only day they're closed, etc).  I was disappointed but looking forward to hopefully getting more follicles this month, and to my utter surprise I was pregnant.  As a PP mentioned, the huge upside is that you would have a much lower risk of multiples.  So good luck!

Me-34, DH-40
TTC since August '09
Angel  2/9/10, dx at 7 weeks (blighted ovum)
TTCA for 9 cycles from 4/10-12/10, no BFPs.
Bloodwork, HSG, & SA were normal (tested in fall '10). 
Stage II endo was excised via laparoscopy on 1/19/11.
Started TTC again in 3/11, 5 cycles all BFNs
July 2011:  1st IUI + letrozole (IUI cancelled) = BFP
Angel 9/9/11, dx at 7 weeks
Currently TTA until we find out more info

If you're 30+, TTC#1 after loss(es), come drop by the Triple Threats for some tea & sympathy (over here...)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 740
srosenth1 replied on 08-25-2011 11:44 AM

I did two cycles of clomid/IUI (no trigger).  Both cycles I had only one dominant follicle, but I got pregnant on the second cycle!  Good luck to you!

Not Ranked
Posts 3,175
teenytiny73 replied on 08-25-2011 1:36 PM

More hope coming your way.  Both of my girls were conceived by IUI where I had one dominant follicle.  I remember my RE saying when we went back for a consult to try for our second that we are the proof that it really only does take one.  Lots of luck to you!

Me (40) DH (43)

After 23 cycles, 4 IUIs, 2 Angel and a high risk pregnancy we got our miracle.

IUI #5 = lucky enough to be blessed again
Not Ranked
Posts 249
wee_pee replied on 08-26-2011 6:22 PM

Bump ~ for an update ~ sorry in advance, long post!!

So I had my IUI yesterday morning. By the time the sperm had been washed and prepared it was around 10am, which is about 26 hours after my trigger. I was (still am!) concerned that this was too early but decided to go ahead and trust my docs as it's our first time doing IUI.

As for the procedure itself,  it couldn't have gone better. I had been so worried about what to expect. We were asked if we wanted to come into the lab and see the little swimmers after they'd been preppedI. The lab tech was absolutely fab and he explained everything to us in minute detail. Seeing the 'before' and 'after' slides under the microscope was unbelievable. The 'before' slide showed lots and lots of immotile sperm, with the occasional swimmer butting heads trying to move. Hubby was shocked at that one. I think it has helped him see how important it is to us to improve his motility. The second slide, after the prep, couldn't have been more different. I know they are treated with a protein or something to excite them but when I put my eyes to the microscope to have a look I nearly jumped back! They were hopping off the slide!!! The actual IUI was painless and quick. I have, apparently, a 'tiny' cervix and the nurse did speculate that the motile sperm just haven't been able to navigate through it!! Afterwards I kept lying down on the table (hips up) for forty minutes. DH and I felt so relaxed. Then, unfortunately, I had to go back to work (I'm a teacher and we're right in the middle of our winter term here in Oz, so lots of exams and marking on at the moment!) My principal has been really good, letting me leave class for different appointments and everything, but I had to go back yesterday Indifferent It was kinda stressful in the classroom for the rest of the day but I got home around 4pm and chilled out on the sofa. DH waited on me hand and foot last night Smile and I felt really strong ovulatory pains from 6pm-midnight last night. 

I think my only worry is that my temp hasn't gone up. I fully expected a temp rise this morning but it's still the same as yesterday...should I be this anxious about it? What are the chances of me actually ovulating today, and the temp rise coming tomorrow...the washed sperm can't live that long, can they? I've been thinking all morning about the chances of me not ovulating last night...and the IUI being wasted, as such. I've even succumbed to googling 'Ovidrel and no ovulation'....it seems extremely rare, but does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Has it ever happened to you - or someone you know?? 

Never give up!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 675
Sammy1 replied on 08-26-2011 8:04 PM

I replied in another post re your lack of temp shift, but I'll repeat it here. O time after trigger is 36-44 hours. I'm wondering if you O'd closer to 44 hours after trigger, which would make your O time around 4 am? What time do you take your temp? Maybe it just didn't have time to rise yet. My understanding is that it rises fast, but I'm not sure exactly how fast. Maybe try googling how long it takes your temp to shift after O? I think I've even seen it on this site but I don't remember what it was.

Re washed sperm: I asked my RE about that because I was also worried about timing and also wondering why there are different IUI schedules for different clinics. My RE said washed sperm live as long or just about as long in the female reprod tract as regularly ejaculated sperm. He said what I've read on the internet before about them only living a few hours is completely bogus.

My guess is you still have a good shot and it's way to early to tell if the IUI was a wash, but it probably was not. GL during your tww!!! I hope this is your only IUI...at least for a long time! Flowers

My Chart               

Not Ranked
Posts 249
wee_pee replied on 08-28-2011 3:51 AM

Thanks Sammy1 - you've been a great help. I had a lovely temp jump this morning so hoping and hoping that the swimmers lived long enough to catch the egg - because I must have ovulated yesterday. At least if I do need to have another iUI I will ask for the procedure to be done a little later - around the 30-35 hour mark after the trigger. Now, how to take my mind off the dreaded TW wait?!

Never give up!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 675
Sammy1 replied on 08-28-2011 12:08 PM

You're welcome! So glad you got a temp jump! Haha, unfortunately I have ZERO advice for you about how to take your mind off during the tww. Keep us updated and I Pray this is your cycle!!! Flowers

My Chart               

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 675
Sammy1 replied on 09-08-2011 10:34 PM

Hi wee_pee! Just checking in to see how you're doing. I was thinking of you because this cycle I only have one dominant follicle (previous cycles I had two)! I came back to read this thread for encouragement. Big Smile I hope everything is well with you!

My Chart               

Not Ranked
Posts 249
wee_pee replied on 09-09-2011 6:02 PM

Hi Sammy1!! That is so weird, I literally just posted a message for you on the ART buddy group board. We got two pink lines yesterday. I am over the moon and truly, genuinely shocked - I was mentally prepared for a long road ahead. How are you going? When is your trigger date this cycle? xx

Never give up!

Not Ranked
Posts 249
wee_pee replied on 09-09-2011 6:05 PM

P.S. That one follicle of mine...it must have just been waiting for its chance! I know multiple follies gives you a better chance but one reduces the risks. if it helps, my follie was on my right ovary...and after the iUI, I lay/leaned to my right side on the table to 'direct' the swimmers into my right tube! Wonder if that's what did it?!

Never give up!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 675
Sammy1 replied on 09-09-2011 8:53 PM

Hi wee_pee! I saw your post in the pg test pics thread first and wrote there, but I'll repeat myself here: CONGRATULATIONS! Your news was such a nice surprise when I checked that thread!

My follies were a little slower to respond this cycle (I started the Letrozole a day later, idk if that had something to do with it?) so I just triggered last night and I will do my 3rd IUI tomorrow with one little follie. And I'll have to try leaning this time, lol, it certainly can't hurt my chances! I'm okay with one follie since a) it didn't help my chances before to have more! and b) I like that my risks are reduced and c) you got pg with only one follie! Laugh Also, re-reading your thread and re-reading my own advice helps me stay encouraged. Big Smile

I bet your DH is so glad, not only because you're pg, but he can ride his bike again! My DH just wants to be done with all this partly just because he misses his bike, poor guy.

My Chart               

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS