Search

help

What would cause an embryo to just stop growing at 6 weeks?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 912
nursemom09 Posted: 08-11-2011 4:25 PM

I hope it's okay to post this here. It's not about me, but about a good friend.  She found out a couple weeks ago she was pregnant for the second time.  The first one ended in miscarriage.  With the first one, she went for an U/S at 6 weeks and they saw a HB, although it wasn't as fast as it should have been (99bpm).  Then when she went back at 8 weeks, there was no HB and baby still measured 6 weeks.  So for whatever reason, it stopped growing at that 6 week mark.

So she found out she's pregnant again.  Had her HCG levels drawn and they looked GREAT!  She was having lots of symptoms, etc.  She went last week for an U/S and measured 5w5d, which is exactly what she should have been according to her LMP.  They didn't see a HB yet, but that didn't concern them since she was so early still.  So they had her come back today.  They did see a HB...well, they said "cardiac motion", but the baby only measured 5w6d.  It almost hadn't grown at all since last week. 

I don't understand this?  What in the world would cause 2 pregnancies to implant, begin growing fine, get a heartbeat, then just stop growing all of a sudden??

They are going to see her again next week to take another look, but I am afraid it's not going to be good. :(  I just don't understand it.

Not Ranked
Posts 505
Nefaline replied on 08-11-2011 6:41 PM

I'm not an expert, but I think that there could be quite a few different reasons. One reason I can think of is something wrong in the genetic code. Genes are kinda like a blue print, so there might have been enough information in the code to get to a certain point, but then there is a glitch at that point and it can go no further. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2,407
RedShoes replied on 08-11-2011 6:44 PM

i would also say chromosomal abnormality...not reassuring, but if she continues to have early losses it might be something she wants to get checked out by having her and her dh screened with a blood test

Not Ranked
Posts 196
meeshy replied on 08-13-2011 12:27 AM

I had two miscarriages this past year. First one I went in at 6w4 days saw the heart beat and miscarried 5 days later. Second time same thing but this time at 10 weeks. We found out that the fibroids I had at the time grew to large and pushed down on the baby causing the baby to miscarry.

Buts its not that uncommon for you to see a hb and then miscarry.

Michelle Heart Airrion

TTC #1 since November 2006

Fur-baby, Weimaraner named Rogue

#1   m/c August 30, 2010 7w2d

#2   m/c March 6,2011 10w1d

8 fibroids removed via abdominal myomectomy June 17, 2011

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 912
nursemom09 replied on 08-19-2011 7:43 PM
Just wanted to give an update!

She went in for another ultrasound today and to everyone's surprise...the baby looks FINE!!!! Measuring 7w3d ands heartrate of 158. It's just a miracle. Seriously, We are so happy!!
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Nshrestha replied on 11-05-2013 9:25 AM

Hi, Would you please tell me what was your friend's result  and what did she do because same thing happened to my sister and we are still trying to find answers and did lots of lab work, but we were not able to get it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,796
dj rayne replied on 11-09-2013 3:54 PM

As this is an older post and some of these users don't post here at this time you may or may not see a response. The reasons given above could be why as well as other issues. The OPs friend saw a heartbeat at a later u/s and I assume went on to deliver a healthy baby with the second pregnancy.

David Jude

Click HERE for useful tips and information about this site including linking your chart and directions to allow others to view it Flowers  and HERE for Shrug abbreviations.

To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven.  Eccl 3:1

My WebCharts

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS