help

Nighttime sinus drainage & coughing

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 849
zzdeleted6147 Posted: 06-30-2011 11:13 AM

DS has year-round seasonal allergies, just like his Momma.  I get allergy shots and he gets Zyrtec twice a day.  Right now he's absolutely miserable: he has constant sinus drainage down the back of his throat, so he coughs all day and night.  It's worse at night when he's lying down.  I have his crib mattress propped up, I put peppermint and eucalyptus oil in his bath water, I burn more eucalyptus oil in the bedroom, I saline his nose several times a day, I cover his chest and back and feet with Vicks rub (the baby sleepy-time menthol-and-lavender rub, not the full-strength OMGVICKS vaporub), and he gets plenty of fluids.  What more can I do??  The poor guy isn't getting enough restful sleep at night and can hardly nap at all at day care.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,153
empygirl replied on 07-01-2011 8:44 PM

I would talk to the pediatrician. Since he's almost 2, you may be able to give him a small dose of benadryl at night to help dry the sinuses and help him rest - under the doctor's supervision of course. Dr. Sears gives dosing by weight above 1 year old, but it's really up to you if you feel comfortable trying it, and I'm not sure about using it when he's already taking zyrtec.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 7,437
jbizzy replied on 07-02-2011 2:46 AM

Ah man that stinks.  Poor little guy.  I agree with PP, see what your pede says.  DD gets runny too (she is on zyrtec for allergies- she is young but she was sick nonstop and both dh and I have terrible allergies) and you are already doing all of the things I was going to suggest!

Our pede has told us we can give her benedryl (follow the dosage you would use for tylenol).  I use the dye free kind and have only used it twice.  Also I have a vicks steamer and it doesn't do squat (IMO)!  The benedryl with saline mist up the nose helps the best for dd.  One night we let her sleep on dh's chest in a reclyner so she was upright.  He was up all night though, scared she would fall.  She didn't. Smile

eta:  one more thing, use an ointment such as Aquafor at the nostrils.  Keeps them from drying out (from the benedryl) and also helps block the allergens entering the nose!

One and Done Club.....

TTC Charts    

TTC#1 March 2006

Myomectomy to remove multiple fibroids and light endo October 2009

First & only BFP January 9th, 2010

*wild yam root 500 mg cd 1-9, maca root 900 mg until 11 dpo, clomid 50 mg cd 5-9, NPC from 3 dpo, procheive suppositories 1st trimester

16 dpo beta 397, 18 dpo beta 863 Yes

Baby Girl 9/26/2010

Not Ranked
Posts 481
janmom replied on 07-08-2011 12:58 AM

He might also be allergic to the eucalyptus, peppermint, and/or the menthol. Eucalyptus and peppermint both give me a runny nose.  A lot of moms here also swear by the Nosefrieda for clearing a runny nose.

Any animals in the house? Dust contained as much as possible (curtains, rugs, etc.) Perfume? Mold? All can make for a miserable time. Hope you both get some relief soon!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS