Search

help

Low Estradiol on Day 3: What causes it??

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 1,300
Kat_Eye Posted: 06-15-2011 11:23 AM

I have had tons of bizarre cycle-related and other symptoms for past few months. I have thought they were all hormonal, but have not been able to test at the right time of the month. Finally I did the three day tests this month. The results:

Estradiol: 13!!!

FSH: 8 (was 7 last month)

LH: 3.6

Progesterone: .5

Any help? My endocrinologist only seemed to look at the FSH and said it was fine, but no comment about the estradiol which was well below the normal range. I am waiting for a call back from her office, but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about what might cause low estradiol with normal FSH. I did do a AMH test last month that was .7.

Also - is the progesterone "normal", or is there no real normal for day 3 (or at least no value that is "too low" for day 3)?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,825
dj rayne replied on 06-22-2011 7:27 AM

Did your test come back syaing it was low? Different labs use different units and what is low on one scale may be norm for another. If that is pg/ml then yes, low. There are several causes for low estradiol - premature ovarian failure, menopause, low body fat/anorexia, excessive exercise, high doses of B6, some herbs or meds can lower levels. With a combined low AMH I'd say you need to look at what has changed recently (meds, supps, exercise, eating habits, weight loss) it maybe something simple that is fixable, it may be your body changing. Pre O that is fine for progesterone. Under 1.5 is normal.

David Jude

Click HERE for useful tips and information about this site including linking your chart and directions to allow others to view it Flowers  and HERE for Shrug abbreviations.

To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven.  Eccl 3:1

My WebCharts

Not Ranked
Posts 1,300
Kat_Eye replied on 06-27-2011 4:12 PM

Thank you for your response! Yes, the results said that my estradiol was low (normal range from lab started at 45 I think). My endocrinologist said that some women just have low levels and it might be "normal" for me, or it might be caused by physical or mental stress, or it might be a sign of perimenopause. She is testing my progesterone, along with FSH, LH, and estradiol, this month post-ovulation (I have never heard of testing FSH, LH, and estradiol after ovulation).

You mentioned my AMH level in a way that sounded like it could be caused by diet, weight, etc.? Is that the case? Or did you just mean that since it is low-ish, then maybe that also suggests perimenopause? With a "normal" FSH, I was thinking perimenopause seemed odd, particularly since my understanding was that estrogen usually falls later in menopause (that progesterone falls first, etc.). In terms of other things - I have lost some weight over the past 9 months or so, although I think I just gained some back. It isn't a huge amount - I am 5'7" and went from around 138ish to 127ish. I have been taking a B6 complex  (50) this month.  I also have been under a lot of physical and, by virtue of that, emotional stress in that I have had some health issues that have worried me.

If anyone has any thoughts, I would appreciate it! I am hoping progesterone comes back ok this week.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,825
dj rayne replied on 06-28-2011 7:12 AM

No it wouldn't be but making sure everything else is in line would optimize your chances. Let us know what your results are. Some Drs do some don't it lets you know whether they are in line after O.

David Jude

Click HERE for useful tips and information about this site including linking your chart and directions to allow others to view it Flowers  and HERE for Shrug abbreviations.

To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven.  Eccl 3:1

My WebCharts

Not Ranked
Posts 62
Mack replied on 06-30-2011 8:07 AM

Some of my tests showed low estradiol, and I was ovulating late (CD 21ihs) consistently.

My RE had me take the 3hr glucose test, and told me that I have insulin issues. The nurse explained that too much insulin works against estrogen production, and also results higher testosterone. My testosterone levels were still in the normal range, but the RE says higher than he would like to see for pregnancy achievement.

He told me during this time to try to keep my carb intake to less than 15g per meal. Its been very difficult, but I have been doing this now for almost a month, but when they did a CD3 ultrasound, they checked my follicles, and I had a follicle 9mm, which makes me wonder if the low/no carb thing worked for me. We still did a cycle of letrazol, and I ovulated somewhere about Day 11/12. (2WW right now). But I have to say, the low carb diet has helped me feel fuller longer, and lose weight, my skin/occasional acne, is 10x better also!

Not Ranked
Posts 1,300
Kat_Eye replied on 07-01-2011 9:48 AM

Thanks for the responses!  My test results came in - at 4-5dpo, progesterone was 11.8 (dr was very pleased), so at least I know I am ovulating! My estradiol was still on the low side - 57, with a normal range starting at 74. She said she couldn't explain that, but that since my progesterone was good then it was probably ok. I wonder if it is the B6 having any effect on the estrogen.

Mack: That is interesting about the glucose issue. I have a family history of diabetes, and I have been hypoglocemic most of my life. Recently, that has changed and my fasting levels now fall in the "pre-diabetic" range. My endocrinologist did the A1C test and it came back ok (altho at the upper level of normal). She thinks I have some impaired gucose tolerance, but that I manage it ok because of my weight being ok. I will have to try cutting out the sugar and lowering carbs and see if that helps!

Not Ranked
Posts 62
Mack replied on 07-02-2011 6:53 AM

I am hypoglycemic also, caused by excessive insulin during the 3 to 4 hour post meal range. FOR ME, the dr said that I was getting a crazy insulin rush after every meal. There are alot of articles about the link between insulin and estrogen and fertility.

This is a great book that was recommended to me before I found out about insulin and fertility, but it has alot of good information. (Even some stuff for the husband).

http://www.amazon.com/Fertility-Cycles-Nutrition-Perfect-Paperback/dp/B003UNBLK2/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309607516&sr=1-2

Not Ranked
Posts 1,300
Kat_Eye replied on 07-06-2011 10:53 AM

I just wanted to update because I always hate when I find posts on a topic related to me but then don't know how they turned out. Smile BFP at 8 dpo this month, and so far so good! So I guess the crazy low estradiol result was "ok", at least in terms of getting pregnant!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS