help

sudden behavior/mood change in 2.5 year old

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 1,504
jellybelly Posted: Mon, May 2 2011 3:48 PM

My son is a little over 2.5 and has had a very sudden change in his mood/behavior.  He is so miserable and screaming for hours at a time over the last few days.  He was a little sick one evening and we even took him to urgent care this weekend because he was just screaming and screaming and we thought it was an ear infection.  He's definitely seems to be fighting some low grade illness or maybe allergies since everything started blooming where we live.  But he is just miserable from wake up to bed time.  And a lot of the screaming is totally intentional - like if he seems something he likes or is interested in, he will stop for a few minutes.  

It's making me worried and very frustrated (I am also 8 months Chick which is not helping matters).  

Anyone go thru this and have any thoughts/suggestions?

Not Ranked
Posts 759
TeriH replied on Mon, May 2 2011 7:44 PM

Does he have his 2 year molars? My DD is SO crabby when her teeth are bugging her, and she'll even dig and dig in her ear. This was my first thought when you said you thought he might have had an EI.

Me: 31

DH: 31

Baby Girl - 2

Baby Boy - 4 months

DDog - 3

Angel - March 2008

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Not Ranked
Posts 1,434
klto replied on Thu, May 5 2011 10:45 AM

My first thought was EI then molars but if it's nither of those I'd like to be the first to officially welcome you to the joy that is toddlers learning to assert themselves and have opinions! Nolan will look at us sometimes, point at us and say "BE QUIET"! cracks me up inside but I never laugh in front of him!

I hope it gets better soon.

Me: 34 DH: 38

Baby Boy Nolan James ~ September 14, 2008

Baby Boy Brady Robert ~ January 17, 2011

Not Ranked
Posts 231
zzdeleted68285 replied on Thu, May 5 2011 11:09 AM

I'm sorry to bring this up, but my sister is a behavior therapist and told me that around 2 years old, if a child suddenly changes - like all of a sudden a different kid one day - it can call for a need to have him evaluated for autism.  I just saw the title of this post and the mention of incessant screaming and some flags went up.  If it goes on a little too long, or he stops responding to his name and/or making eye contact it couldn't hurt just to ask your doc what he thinks.  Obviously, this is one of the worst case scenarios and extremely unlikely.

My kid ( approx. 3yo) still has off days for various reasons.  Yesterday he was sick, but couldn't communicate it and was really misbehaving.  Sure enough he got a fever last night.

Hope this passes soon!

Not Ranked
Posts 2,407
RedShoes replied on Thu, May 5 2011 2:48 PM

My first thought was molars also...DD has been cranky on and off and the other day when she was laughing I realized she had 2 more jaw teeth and the other two looked red and swollen!

Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 13,917
minimurph replied on Thu, May 5 2011 3:21 PM

Wow at the PP who said autism flag. Really? Way to scare the crap out of the OP.

I also vote molars. DS is the same age (2.5) and also having issues the same way. As of 2 days ago, I saw his bottom 2 molars have come through and the top ones seem to be right there ready to break through. He's been absolutely a disaster and waking a gazillion times at night to nurse (like a newborn). It comes and goes but omg, its wearing!

This too shall pass. Hug

If you feel its something more, please have his ears checked.

Me and him plus Baby Girl 6/23/06 and Baby Boy 12/10/08 = Heart

Not Ranked
Posts 1,504
jellybelly replied on Thu, May 5 2011 5:46 PM

THanks to everyone for the responses.

Of course, my DS has gone back to normal, then to cranky, then back again.  He started daycare about 8 weeks ago and I think he's been picking up all kinds of sicknesses.  We've also been under a lot of stress including major home renovation while getting ready for a baby to come this month - so I am sure he's picking up on that.

As for the autism comments, I actually work with autistic children for a living (I am a professor of education in an autism program) so I wasn't thinking that.  I don't think what I originally described would be flag for autism but thanks for all the support.Flowers

Not Ranked
Posts 231
zzdeleted68285 replied on Thu, May 5 2011 9:33 PM

I wasn't trying to scare anyone. I am glad you know the signs of autism and ruled it out.  Also, I didn't mean any particular behavior that your son is doing would be a flag. I understood your post as your son having a sudden and severe change in behavior, random constant screaming, and that you ruled out illness. With that information, and assuming you had the usual minimal education about behavioral disorders (I was wrong)  I hope you can see why I brought it up?

Not Ranked
Posts 1,504
jellybelly replied on Thu, May 5 2011 9:48 PM

I wasn't upset about your post. I always appreciate any responses I get, even if they aren't what I was necessarily looking for.Peace

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS