Anyone? Spotting Due to Irritated/"Friable" Cervix

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 60
onehandinmypocket Posted: Thu, Apr 14 2011 11:23 AM

(Previous loss mentioned)

I woke up last Saturday a.m. with lots of brownish/pinkish discharge. Went to L&D. They did a manual exam and I was told that I likely had an irritated (the term they used was "friable") cervix due to intercourse two nights earlier. I continued to have the discharge over the weekend. On Monday a.m. I had my anatomy scan (which, fortunately, went great). They also did an transvaginal u/s. Everything looked good. No other discernible causes of the pink/brown discharge (no placenta previa, no subchorionic hematomas, no cervical shortening). 

It has been several days since the transvaginal and I still have the brownish/pinkish discharge. It is very scary for me because my previous pregnancy ended in a loss at 22 weeks and the first sign of trouble was pink discharge which, after a week, turned into bleeding. With my lost pregnancy, an ultrasound showed a subchorionic hematoma. After I lost the baby, it was found that I had an acute uterine infection that was likely caused by an amnio... the inflammation from the infection probably caused the SCH.  I have not had amnio this time around. However, even though the circumstances are different, I am still scared.

Anyone else have bleeding/spotting/colored discharge caused by a friable cervix? If so, how long did your spotting/bleeding last? Was it only triggered if there was contact with the cervix? Or did other things (such as activity, straining to make a BM, etc.) cause it? 

Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 176
JMKW replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 3:14 PM

I'm so sorry about your previous loss, I'm sure it makes any bleeding incredibly scary. I had bleeding from my cervix when I was about 10 weeks pregnant that was pinkish and brown. It lasted for several days, and tended to occur after a BM. I think this is pretty common due to the increased blood flow to the cervix during pregnancy. This didn't cause any problems for me, and my baby is now 4 weeks old. Good luck, and I think chances are very good that everything will be fine!

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2e01a3

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,821
thankful replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 7:03 PM

I'm so sorry about your prior loss.  I was told I had a friable cervix with this pregnancy.  I spotted 2 to 3 times a week up until maybe 8 or 9 weeks.  I even had one episode of bright red blood.  Then a few weeks ago I had spotting after sex.  I know it can be frightening but everything has been fine so far.  It sounds like they've given you a thorough once over.  Every time I mentioned it to my docs (both OB and peri) they always told me how common it is.  Only made me feel the tiniest bit better but so far everything's been great.   Mine occurred often for no apparent reason.  The time with bright red blood I had mopped the floor and done 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill.  They had me limit my activity until after 12 weeks but that was probably a mix of the spotting/bleeding and my prior history of loss.  Nothing I can tell you is totally going to erase your worry but chances are good everything's perfectly fine and your cervix is just easily irritated.  If it puts you more at ease you can ask them to run tests to confirm there's no infection causing the spotting. 

Me (37)     DH (38)   DD (5)  DD(10 months)

6 Angel  Heterzygous MTHFR A1298C     Daily Baby Aspirin and 1.2 mg folic acid

Striving to Love Unconditionally, Laugh Often, Befriend Wisely, Question Boldly and Pray on My Knees

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,821
thankful replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 8:05 PM

Came back to add that both docs recommended that when it happened I drink a lot of water, lie on my left side for a bit and try to relax.  Drinking lots of water is definitely the standard reply.  Hope the remainder of your pregnancy is happy, healthy and stress free!

Me (37)     DH (38)   DD (5)  DD(10 months)

6 Angel  Heterzygous MTHFR A1298C     Daily Baby Aspirin and 1.2 mg folic acid

Striving to Love Unconditionally, Laugh Often, Befriend Wisely, Question Boldly and Pray on My Knees

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS