help

Estradiol and Progesterone

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 43
KristyC17 Posted: 04-08-2011 3:58 PM

Hello everyone.. I am hoping someone can help me out a bit here. My dr just prescribed a 21 day course of estradiol followed by a 10 day course of progesterone so they can do blood tests on day 3 of my AF following the progesterone. I understand they are wanting to test hormones, etc.. but what exactly is the estradiol supposed to do? I didn't have a lot of time to speak with the nurse when she was on the phone explaining what the doctor was ordering so I was hoping someone here knew (since it is Friday afternoon it makes it difficult to call the dr back!) 

I appreciate everyones help!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,177
dj rayne replied on 04-08-2011 5:48 PM

The estradiol is to build a lining in the event there isn't one built (and maybe encourage an ovulation) and the progesterone will thicken the lining. The sudden drop in progesterone when you stop is what triggers AF. Sounds like he is trying to have you go through as normal a round of hormones as possible before the next cycle.

David Jude

Click HERE for useful tips and information about this site including linking your chart and directions to allow others to view it Flowers  and HERE for Shrug abbreviations.

To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven.  Eccl 3:1

My WebCharts

Not Ranked
Posts 43
KristyC17 replied on 04-08-2011 6:15 PM

Thank you!... So there is a possibility that I could O while taking the Estradiol? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,177
dj rayne replied on 04-09-2011 7:12 AM

IF your other hormones go ahead and do what they should it won't prevent it.

David Jude

Click HERE for useful tips and information about this site including linking your chart and directions to allow others to view it Flowers  and HERE for Shrug abbreviations.

To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven.  Eccl 3:1

My WebCharts

Not Ranked
Posts 257
notes4lauren replied on 04-20-2011 10:24 AM

I am also being prescribed two months of estradiol/provera before attempting to ovulate with the help of clomid. I have not ovulated or had AF in a year since discontinuing the Pill. Is there a chance in the next two months that I could get pregnant? How would I know if I was pregnant? After month one, if I don't AF then should I take a test before starting round 2? Should I still take my temperatures for the next two months? If I got pregnant, then would estradiol or provera hurt the baby?

Not Ranked
Posts 43
KristyC17 replied on 04-20-2011 10:36 AM

I am on my 12th day of Estradiol and I haven't ovulated yet.. A few days after I started taking it my cervix got very high and open and I actually had EWCM and I thought I might O but had very negative (barely even a test line) OPK's and no temp shift. I am not sure if the estradiol is suppose to make you O.. but I suppose it could encourage one. I am supposed to have day 3 testing once I get AF from the provera.. I keep hoping that the hormones will encourage an O.. but who knows? The nurse assured me that it would be ok if I was to O and get pregnant while taking this.

This seems like the longest 21 days ever! I am ready to have the tests done..

Not Ranked
Posts 257
notes4lauren replied on 04-20-2011 12:45 PM

I am glad to know that the nurse said getting pregnant on estradiol was safe. I am also concerned about the provera. I have read that there could be negative side affects to a baby from provera. However, since I start provera on day 20 of my cycle, how will I test for pregnancy before starting provera? Do you have any advice?

Also, want type of OPK tests are you using? Do they still work with estradiol/provera? Have your temperatures changed from what they regularly were before meds?

Not Ranked
Posts 43
KristyC17 replied on 04-20-2011 1:09 PM

Actually, when I asked about the safety of the baby if I was to get pregnant, she said it would be fine on the provera..  In fact, she got pregnant on provera and her son is 5. I am not positive about the Estradiol.. because I would assume, with myself, if I was to get pregnant, I am only doing one round of Estradiol.. so I am not sure about that when you would have two rounds.. but I think the best advice would be to use a HPT before you start the second round.. but if you are pregnant, the first round of provera would probably not give you a period.. I think. This can all be so confusing.. our bodies just need to start doing this on their own! Smile

I have been using answer OPK's but am about to start using IC ones. I have never had a +OPK so I don't know really much about it... I have been off BCP for 5 months now. My temperatures have been really all over the board.. possibly stabilizing more now.. over the past few days.. I had more charted but something happened to my chart and I lost a lot of my charted temps.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,177
dj rayne replied on 04-20-2011 3:08 PM

You wouldn't know if you were or not. Best would be to keep up with temps and OPKs then you know if you ovulated. Provera can cause birth defects. That doesn't mean it will. It isn't a chance I would take. Taking it that late for that long if you were PG it would likely still be around in your system. I would use protection while they are trying to straighten things out. You could also ask for a switch to prometrium which is safe. The downside is it can take a higher or longer dose to have the same effect. OPKs test for LH and if it is in your system at a level high enough to trigger the test it will show up regardless. Just as rising estrogen is no guarantee of O, an LH surge does not guarantee it either. You would know by a shift in temps which will occur with rising progesterone as long as you have not started the provera. SO if you see a surge wait to see if temps shift, if they do then ideally you wouldn't need provera as long as you ovulate AF will come. If no O, no chance of PG anyway so provera isn't an issue.

David Jude

My WebCharts

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS