help

Increasing my Prometrium dosage???

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 23
MegP Posted: 07-28-2011 6:33 PM

I had a MC in June due to low progesterone. My levels were at 2.8 @ 6.5 weeks and exactly a week later they were 0.8. I started Prometrium yesterday at CD19 and tomorrow  (CD21) I go in to get blood drawn to check my progesterone levels. It seems that when I read forums with girls taking this medication, they are taking more than 200mg. I usually don't get blood results for a week at my doctor's office, and I don't want to find out a week later than I should have been taking more than 200mg. I have enough in my prescription. Should I ask the nurses tomorrow? So far, it doesn't seem like they have been very knowledgeable when I ask questions like these....

27 years old

Wife of a Marine

Discontinued BC Dec. 27, 2009

TTC since February 2010 when husband returned from Afghanistan

Started charting in April of 2010

1 MC June of 2011

Low Progesterone, Endometriosis, One Ovary and Fallopian Tube

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,877
dj rayne replied on 07-30-2011 6:11 AM

The low levels sound like your body had already started the m/c route and low levels may or may not have played a part. A P level at 7DPO and again at 14DPO with BFP if the 7DPO was borderline would have told you more about whether this was a factor. Once your body decides to reject the baby then dropping P levels are a part of the process. I am assuming you started the progesterone at 3DPO. 200mg is often enough to bring levels in line. Even if you don't need it it usually isn't enough to make your levels too high. You may find that you do better and your levels are more stable if you ask for 100mg and use one in the AM and one in the PM as prometrium has a short half life. For me oral doses never reflected a large change in blood levels and I hated the s/e so once I switched to vag use I had fewer s/e, could take less and see higher levels, and spreading it out gave me the best results. Let us know what your labs say. GL

ETA to add if you haven't O'd yet and he has you taking it know that .8 is normal for preovulation ( .2  - 1.5/2 depending on the lab) and taking it can prevent ovulation. In rare cases it is necessary if estrogen levels are really high and you need to bring that ratio back into balance.

David Jude

Click HERE for useful tips and information about this site including linking your chart and directions to allow others to view it Flowers  and HERE for Shrug abbreviations.

To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven.  Eccl 3:1

My WebCharts

Not Ranked
Posts 23
MegP replied on 07-30-2011 3:41 PM

Thanks for your input! I did start the Prometrium 3DPO. I asked about whether I should take more or not, and my doctor said that I might increase the dosage whenever I get a positive pregnancy test OR if my levels are showing up as low once my blood results come back. Is that halflife the same for oral and vag Prometrium? Should I ask about doing two 100 mg doses a day?

Also, I had read about not taking it before ovulation. I made sure to do OPK's and then waited 3 days past my first positive test just to make sure. I'm actually quite adamant about sharing this with others who are having IF problems because several of them who are told to go on some sort of progesterone are not told to wait until after ovulating. One girl has been taking it right through the time when she should be ovulating!

I'll let you know what my levels are on Monday. I get the results back in the afternoon. Again, thanks for your input. I am so thankful for a forum where you can ask a question and get a good detailed answer. At the doctor's office, they just expect you to follow directions and not ask questions.

27 years old

Wife of a Marine

1 MC June of 2011

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,088
zzdeleted62686 replied on 08-01-2011 10:11 PM

Why does it take so long to get the results back?  Are you seeing an RE?  RE's should have it back that day (benefits of going to one vs. OBGYN).  I just ovulated, as confirmed by an ultrasound by my RE and am on Prometrium 100mg capsuls orally 4x/day (morning, afternoon, evening and before bed).  They will draw my blood 7 DPO to check my levels & call me back within two hours with the results.  Seems pretty sucky for you to have to wait one week and not very proactive of them.

And that is crazy if obgyns are telling patients to take it before confirming ovulation.  Stupid.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,877
dj rayne replied on 08-02-2011 5:33 AM

Half life is the same. Ideal would be 4 doses (every 6) but most women don't need that amt and it raises theiir levels too high, 3 (every 8) works fine,  2 doses (every 12) you get a wider range of fluctuation but again if your levels are too high with three then some fluctuation is better than a too high level, 1 a day you see the most fluctuation. There are two dosages of prometrium available 100mg and 200 mg so it is kind of limiting when you don't need much. There are other options with the bioidenticles so if you find that this doesn't work for you you can switch. The creams become a good option if you need lower doses and are easy to spread out over the course of the day. You just need one that comes premeasured. Not all REs have in house or even in building labs. They should as many times their results are needed relatively quickly. One of the REs here has a satalite office and everything goes to the main to be run so they have a 24hr turnaround and the one closest has a phlebotomist from Quest that works in office that draws but everything is transported out, since there is only one pick up a day sometimes there can be a wait. I saw someone over an hour away instead of who was nearest and he had an in office lab so results were within hours depending on the test and priority.

David Jude

Click HERE for useful tips and information about this site including linking your chart and directions to allow others to view it Flowers  and HERE for Shrug abbreviations.

To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven.  Eccl 3:1

My WebCharts

Not Ranked
Posts 23
MegP replied on 08-03-2011 7:19 PM

My levels were 21.4 on CD21. I'm on CD26 and the past two or three days, my emotions have been horrible! I'm guessing it's the Prometrium, but I don't know. I'm so frustrated with IF, am feeling defeated about this month already, and basically feel as if the sky is falling. At least my levels were good, huh?

27 years old

Wife of a Marine

1 MC June of 2011

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,088
zzdeleted62686 replied on 08-04-2011 9:44 AM

Sorry about your breakdown.  Sometimes the silver lining helps, sometimes it does.  Right now I'm taking Prometrium for no reason and it sucks.  I ovulated from my side that has no tube and am having a beautiful LP without any hope of being preggo.  All the best.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS